10 Best Survival Knife Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 1 10 Best Survival Knife Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 🥇[TOP 10] Best Survival Knife Reviews In 2022
- 2.1 1. Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
- 2.2 2. Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife, Fine Edge, Black
- 2.3 3. Gerber LMF II Survival Knife, Black
- 2.4 4. Gerber 22-01629 LMF II Infantry Knife, 4.8-inch (Black)
- 2.5 5. KA-BAR 1217 Straight Edge Full-Size USMC Fighting Knife
- 2.6 6. Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 Tanto Folding Black Pocket Knife Tactical
- 2.7 7. Becker Knife BK22 w/Polyester Sheath
- 2.8 8. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
- 2.9 9. Benchmade – Bushcrafter 162 Knife, Drop-Point
- 2.10 10. Buck Knives 060 Hood Hoodlum Survival Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath
Are you looking for the Best Survival Knife in 2022? If yes, you have come to the right place which you can discover the full reviews, tips, and guides.
While planning your survival Gear, a survival knife is the utmost important tool that cannot be missed. It is simply a knife that can perform thousands of survival-related functions. A lot of good and reputed brands strive hard to provide you the best survival knife.
Does size matter? Whether to go for a full-tang knife or not? A lot of such questions pop up when you plan to buy a survival knife. Take a look at the few important factors you should consider while buying a survival knife:
Important Factors You Should Consider Before Buying Survival Knife:
1. Full Tang– Full tang provides the adequate strength needed to use the knife in various survival situations. Full tang means that the blade extends the entire length of the knife, from the tip to the very end of the handle. The full tang knife is much more effective than a partial tang knife. Over time, partial tang knife blades can loosen and develop “play” in the handle especially in case of overuse or while performing tough tasks.
2. Handle– The handle is an extremely important consideration while buying a knife. A lot of knives have cheap plastic or metal handles that are neither durable nor safe. Look for textured or scaled knives made from modern synthetics like Micarta, G-10, GRN/FRN, Kraton, etc.
3. Blade – Go for carbon steel or stainless steel blade. Carbon steel is tougher than stainless steel, so if your knife is prone to heavy-duty usage, go for a carbon steel blade.
4. Blade length and width– Length and thickness of the blade are two important factors while making a purchase. As far as the thickness of the blade is concerned, the adequate range is between 0.17 and 0.25 inches, as it can handle both delicate and tough jobs. Coming on to length, bigger is not always better. Don’t go for a knife that is bigger than 10 or 11 inches. The best is to keep the blade length between 4 and 8 inches. These are comfortable carrying and working with.
5. Fixed or folding– In case of survival knife, anyway a fixed blade knife is much better than a folder. Fixed blade knives ensure more speed and are safer as compared to the folding knives.
So, here’s a pick of the best survival knives on the market today. Take a look:
🥇[TOP 10] Best Survival Knife Reviews In 2022
1. Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
- Full tang heavy duty field knife suited for camping chores.
- Made in Olean New York, U.S.A
- Designed by Ethan Becker
For all those who camp, hunt, or spend time afield, this knife is a blessing in disguise. Built-in the USA by Ka-Bar, and designed by Renaissance man Ethan Becker, the BK-2 has been one of the most preferred choices when it comes to the best survival knife.
The KA-BAR is a well-reputed brand and its existence dates back to the early 20th century.
BK-2 is one of the popular knives in the market. It has an overall length of 10-5/8″, a 5-1/4″ blade, and weighs 16 ounces. It features a thick 1095 cro-van steel blade, that makes this knife a little heftier than most other knives in this category.
The ergonomic design of the handle is eye-catching and handle is made of Grivory, which is a hardened plastic material. The blade is in drop-point design and features a black traction coating.
The knife comes with a Kydex sheath that is pleasing to the eyes. The sheath and the knife have many holes on them, and the user can attach a lanyard in any of them.
It is also a decent chopper, thus great for chopping onions or other vegetables for the campfire grill. So, in case you want limited chopping, this serves as a great tool. The knife comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, which itself is proof of the quality of the knife.
This one is the most tested and tried knives, and surely won’t disappoint you.
2. Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife, Fine Edge, Black
- StrongArm tactical knife features a black handle and a fine edge, full tang 420HC steel blade
- Durable survival knife has ceramic blade coating and rubberized diamond texture grip
- Break through hard surfaces in emergencies with the tactical knife’s striking pommel
Gerber, one of the oldest brands has been making survival knives for the US Military since 1968. there are three different versions of the LMF II knife: Infantry, Survival, and ASEK. While the knives are functionally identical, each variation has something different to offer. We will study all three of them one by one.
Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife was basically designed around the fundamentals of military survival training, thus this knife is very military looking.
It features a full tang 420HC blade compiled with the black ceramic coating. The versatile drop-point blade has a fine edge that allows for easy sharpening.
In addition, there is an exposed point on the pommel which in case of an emergency, can be used as a glass breaker. With a 4.8″ blade, the overall size of the knife is 9.8”.
It has a rubberized diamond-texture handle for an unshakeable grip.
With an extremely comfortable grip, this is one of the most comfortable knives you will find in the market.
As far as carrying it around is concerned, this knife comes with a modular sheath that can be mounted horizontally on MOLLE, on the belt, or traditional drop leg. Therefore, you can carry it around in multiple ways as there are five components to the sheath.
There are thumb pads on the sides, which means that you can use the knife for defensive purposes.
Honestly, it fits great in the hand and this survival knife does everything required that you expect a blade knife to do. As a first time user, you won’t be having much difficulty as it comes with a good instruction manual inserted into the package.
It is one of the best-fixed blade survival knives available.
3. Gerber LMF II Survival Knife, Black
- Originally designed to free an aircrew from a downed aircraft
- Tough enough to cut through the fuselage of an aircraft
- Purposeful break between the tang and the butt cap, providing insulated protection against stray wires and absorbing any shock from hammering.
Based in Portland, Oregon the Gerber Legendary Blades have been designing some of the best quality knives since the 1930’s. Over the 70 years of its existence, Gerber has made its mark in the knife industry.
This made in USA knife was originally designed to free an aircrew from a downed aircraft. It features a blade made of 420HC stainless steel, the material which is highly resistant to corrosion.
The blade is in drop point design that lends a great deal of strength to the blade.
The best part about this knife is that it has a pointed butt cap that can be used as a hammer or a glass breaker and that is purposefully separated from the tang in order to provide shock absorption from hammering and insulated protection against stray wires.
Its handle is made out of glass-filled nylon with TPV overmold. TVP is an excellent rubber material that provides resistance to extreme temperatures.
The over-molded handle is basically to prevent blisters when being used for long periods or under some irregular conditions.
One highlighting feature of the sheath is that it includes a built-in V- type knife sharpener, which can be easily accessed from the front of the sheath.
The best thing is that it will always accompany you whenever and wherever you carry this knife.
This high quality best survival knife comes with a reasonable price tag that makes it worth the purchase. It comes with a Gerber Lifetime Warranty against any defect in material and craftsmanship.
4. Gerber 22-01629 LMF II Infantry Knife, 4.8-inch (Black)
- Field tested with American troops, this 10 inch survival knife was engineered in partnership with our country's bravest
- This MOLLE compatible knife is rugged and versatile, with a partially serrated blade that can also serve as pommel or a spear
- The ballistic nylon sheath includes a built-in blade sharpener and fire retardant coating
Gerber 22-01629 LMF II Infantry Knife has been designed by a former military man and field-tested with real troops, therefore you can totally rely on the durability of this knife.
With infantry based designs incorporated into the features of this knife, it becomes a tougher knife than a regular survival knife.
It’s a 10-inch knife and it is not a full-tang knife. The blade has a drop-point design and is made of 420HC Stainless steel that is durable and rust-resistant.
The unique aspect of this knife is that the blades have a combo-edge; that means the front half of the blade is sharpened for normal day-to-day activities and the rear end of the blade is serrated for more varied materials.
The handle of this knife is wider and is made of Zytel, which is a type of glass-filled nylon. This is then coated or over-molded with TPV that is textured for a good grip.
The handle also comes with three holes so it’s easy to make into a spear tip. This knife also makes for an excellent strap cutter.
The knife comes with a nylon sheath that has straps that can be strapped to a belt for easy carrying. The best part of the sheath is the in-built V-type sharpener made of carbide, that you can carry along wherever you go.
However, the knife feels heavier, thus strapping it around your legs or thigh becomes very difficult in case of prolonged use.
This versatile knife comes with a lifetime warranty and is a must-buy.
5. KA-BAR 1217 Straight Edge Full-Size USMC Fighting Knife
- Edge Angles - 20 Degrees
- Overall length 11.875 inches
- The most famous fixed blade knife design in the world
This knife carries with itself the legacy of being one of the best survival knives in the world. During the Second World War, it was one of the general issue knives to the United States Marine Corps, and quickly gained popularity around the world.
Today, people carry it as their personal knife.
This company has been making knives since 1898, and every knife undergoes a unique manufacturing process and testing to ensure corrosion resistance, an out-of-the-box razor-sharp cutting edge, etc.
This knife is made of tough 1095 Cro-van steel. The chromium and vanadium ensure corrosion resistance and edge retention. The KA-BAR Knife features a gold-plated brass guard and pommel.
The pommel itself is steel and the full tang of the knife is securely pinned into place with a stainless steel pin to the pommel that can be seen from one side.
The fixed blade length of the Full-size Ka-Bar knife is 7 inches and it is about 1.25 inches wide.
A slightly curved crossguard lightly protects the hand from danger and is located on the blade end of the handle.
The knife comes with a protective leather sheath that is made in Mexico. The leather is of high-quality and won’t break like its plastic counterparts. Not only from designing viewpoint, this sheath works great for functional view-point also.
Overall, it is one of the best-fixed blade survival knife, which is a great all-purpose knife that is beautifully sharp and retains its edge for a long time.
6. Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 Tanto Folding Black Pocket Knife Tactical
- Tactical knife with vacuum-heat-treated, sub-zero-quenched stainless-steel blade
- Tough finish resists rust, eliminates glare, and slips through tough material
- Handle's G-10 laminate scales are contoured and scalloped to produce superior nonslip grip
Cold Steel was founded in 1980 and is based in California. The company is famous for raising the bar in the knife industry. They are the ones who popularized the concept of the tanto-point blades.
Their consistency in providing some of the best quality knives have made it one of the most reputed and popular brands in the knife industry. This is one of the best pocket knife brands available in the knife industry.
The Micro Recon 1 features Japanese AUS 8A stainless steel Tuff-Ex Coated Blade. The company claims that the Tuff-Ex finish helps to prevent rust and provides lubrication while cutting tough materials.
Apart from these benefits, it also lends a military look to the knife. The G-10 laminate scales lend a lot of stability to this knife.
There is a Tanto version and there are four handle scale colors: pink, green, orange, and black. It provides a terrific non-slip grip, plus, they are held together by the high strength mechanical fasteners and further assisted by a 6061 heat-treated spacer.
One highlighting feature that has been introduced by Cold Steel has seen on the Recon 1 is the Tri-Ad locking system. It is a feature that makes lock failure almost impossible.
At the price which it comes in, Recon 1 is one of the best pocket knives available in the market, this is a must attempt.
7. Becker Knife BK22 w/Polyester Sheath
- Used by all branches of miliary and service members
- Great for collectors and outdoor services,Tested to ensure quality and durability
- Becker 22 Second Generation "Companion" Fixed Blade Knife with HD Sheath
KA-BAR is a company that every knife user will recognize. Made in the USA, the company manufactures some of the best quality knives available in the market. The immense durability of their products is one of the key reasons behind their popularity.
This lightweight knife features a 1095 cro-van steel blade, which is durable and offers strength. This high-quality blade is just over 5 inches in length. If cared for properly this blade can last for your entire life.
To protect the blade, it is covered with a powder coating. The handle is made of Grivory which is a heavy-duty polymer and the-the butt of the blade is quite effective.
This full-tang knife has an excellent grip. There is a slight inner curve that makes handling this knife easier.
The balance between the blade and tongue is well maintained, making the knife secure and easy to use. The pommel of this knife is extended, lending more versatility to the knife.
The heavy-duty polyester sheath of this knife is excellent and an improvement over the original BK2 sheath. It is made with better and secure clips.
The sheath has a Velcro belt strap and a small pocket situated on the front as well as two grip retention straps. All this ensures that the knife is securely placed on the belt.
This knife is great for handling just about anything. You name the task, and it can do it.
8. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
- Quality tested and ensured for maximum durability
- Designed with only the toughest, roughest users in mind
- Comfort and Performance come hand in hand with Rothco
Gerber has been around for over 70 years and has made its mark in the knives industry. Now, who doesn’t know about Bear Grylls? Coming from the United Kingdom, he is a British television personality whose TV programs were all concerned with how to survive in the outdoors.
After he used the Gerber knife on one of his television shows, the brand (Gerber) launched the product line that bears his name.
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife is a medium-sized, best-fixed blade survival knife that is made in China.
This knife features a drop-point, serrated full tang blade that is made of high-carbon stainless steel.
The drop point blade design provides strength across the entire length of the knife and as the blade is made of steel, corrosion should not be an issue.
However, a fine-edged blade without any serrations is also available, but serrated blades are capable of cutting a much wider range of materials.
The handle is made of textured rubber material, which makes it easier to grip. The knife features a sheath that is made out of military-grade, mildew resistant nylon.
There is a stainless steel pommel at the butt end of the handle that is designed for hammering or smashing things. A small emergency whistle is also incorporated into the lanyard at the butt end of the knife to help you out in emergency situations.
It has a plastic sleeve that locks the blade of the knife. The knife has a built-in diamond sharpening stone that is located on the backside of this plastic sleeve. And on the bottom of the plastic sleeve, you will see a fire starting rod, which is a great addition to fire is the utmost necessity when you camp out or in survival situations.
This knife comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Undoubtedly, this is one of the best survival knives you can buy by one of the most reputed brands Gerber. The price at which this knife comes in makes it hard to resist.
9. Benchmade – Bushcrafter 162 Knife, Drop-Point
- BUILT FOR THE TRAIL: Robust, rugged style meets unmatched function, no matter the application; A robust survival tool that's as versatile as it is tough.
- AMERICAN MADE CPM-S30V STEEL: For first-rate edge retention and corrosion resistance; Precision drop-point construction for strength and versatility.
- ULTRA DURABLE G10 HANDLE: Features a resin-soaked fiberglass body that's impervious to moisture and stable across fast-changing climates.
Benchmade ventured into knife industry in 1988 and since then the knife industry has not been the same. They have produced some of the world’s best knives and totally changed the definition of survival knives.
Bushcraft? Many of you might be not familiar with this term. It is one of the most popular trends whereby ancient survival skills are blended with modern survival techniques.
The Oregon-based Benchmade factory employs modern laser cutters and CNC machining centers that offer control and tolerances found in the aerospace industry.
Benchmade’s first foray into the Bushcraft world. The knife features a full tang design and a drop point blade that is made of S30V stainless steel. The blade is thick enough and has a polished finish.
The dark green G10 handle has been molded and contoured and held together with red vulcanized spacers and pressed titanium tubing.
You can see a noticeable bulge near the middle of the handle, which provides a better grip.
With a 4.4-inch cutting edge, the knife has a full-grain leather sheath with a D-ring for your belt and a flint rod loop that fits standard Army-size flint rods. The blade is easy to sharpen.
With a sturdy and reliable bushcraft blade, this is one of the best survival knives that emerges out as a true winner. Benchmade Bushcrafter 162 is a fantastic knife that will tackle the toughest of tasks with ease.
10. Buck Knives 060 Hood Hoodlum Survival Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath
- Life time warranty
- Built with precision and quality
- Variety of outdoor uses
This is one of the legendary knives as it was designed for Buck Knives by none other than the wilderness survival legend, the late Ron Hood. Buck knives are known for their durability and fine craftsmanship.
The best part is the Forever Warranty that the company provides. Bushcraft knives are usually heavy due to the length of the knife and the extra thickness of the knife.
This is just because it prevents the long blade from bending or breaking under extreme conditions.
The knife measures 10 inches in length that is twice the length of your a basic standard wilderness survival knife.
Hoodlum has managed the overweight issue by using a 5160 steel blade. 5160 is extremely strong and won’t break under extreme stress.
The handle of this full tang knife is built with a Shock Mitigation System (SMS) to reduce any kind of shock while doing any kind of activity. The handle is made out of Micarta, a durable man-made, laminate material.
The knife features a heavy-duty nylon sheath an integrated hammer and lanyard hole in the butt of the handle. The knife is M.O.L.L.E. compatible. It also features a leg strap cord and front storage carry pouch.
Overall it is one of the best-fixed blade survival knives that will withstand the test of time and outdoor elements.
If you are looking for the Best Kitchen Knife Sets, do leverage this useful source before starting ordering process.