Best Road Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 1 Best Road Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 Types of Road Bike
- 3 Things to consider before buying a new Road Bike
- 4 Best Road Bikes under 500 Dollars for 2021
Drifting on the city roads or riding up the hill is no ordinary affair, for the technology is here to make the experience more overwhelming and adventurous. The talk is about the high-tech road bikes. Whether you are going to work, or racing or riding as an exercise, these bikes got you covered.
Available in a wide rof with specifics of weight, height, features, price and color dimensions, the bike can be tailor-made to suit the requirements of individual novice riders.
The sturdy frames, high-speed drivetrains, wheelsets and light pedals can turn an experience effortless for an individual. The market is flooded with various top road bike brands manufacturing some of the best road bikes for beginners.
Thus, choosing the right one that suits your requirement becomes difficult. First of all, you should be clear as to which type or style of road bike you intend to buy:
Types of Road Bike
- Race Bike– These bikes are great for competitive purposes like say you are jostling for position in a race, or looking forward to some aggressive positioning. The race geometry road bikes aren’t the best choice for most people. To enjoy a more aerodynamic, racing style position these bikes are the best.
- Endurance bikes– Now, if you are looking out a bike for your day-to-day commuting then endurance bikes serves the purpose well. On this bike the handlebars are higher than on the race bikes, thus it puts less strain on the back allowing the rider to enjoy a more comfortable ride. In fact in endurance road bikes gears are even slightly lower. So if you want to enjoy a relaxed position and long comfortable rides, these bikes are the best.
An endurance style road bike is the best road bikes for beginners. Now there are some other things that you should consider the next time you’re thinking about buying a new road bike:
Things to consider before buying a new Road Bike
- Frame– The most common materials these days are aluminium and carbon, but steel and titanium have their own advantages. Aluminum is the most popular choice in entry-level bikes. For race bikes, carbon is the most prominent choice as carbon is much lighter than aluminium. Titanium is the strongest of all but also expensive. Steel frames are often handcrafted and they used to be the most used frame material in previous years.
- Groupsets– Components form the main part of the bike. This comprises of chainrings, cassette, chain, gear levers, cranks, derailleurs, bottom bracket and brakes. There are three major manufacturers that you’ve come across: Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo. Shimano’s entry-level groupset is Claris, followed by Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegta, then Dura Ace. At entry-level prices, Shimano is the best option available. The higher the range you go with components, the more expensive the bike gets.
- Brakes– Road bike with rim or disc brakes? Usually, the entry-level road bikes had caliper brakes( in this the blocks of rubber squeeze against the rim), but now a lot of bikes are equipped with disc brakes, as they offer better braking. Now make a choice carefully here, as rim brake bikes cannot be converted to discs and vice-versa.
- Gearing– This is another important aspect to consider. Chainsets are commonly double, triple, or compact. A larger chainring offers more resistance, thus you can choose according to the purpose you are buying the bike for.
To help you out with your first purchase, we bring before you a comprehensive guide on the best road bikes under 500 dollars. Take a look:
Best Road Bikes under 500 Dollars for 2021
1. Vilano Aluminium Road Bike Speed ShimanoB005EFTPXO
The good quality product at a reasonable price would be an apt portrayal if one talks about Vilano Aluminium road bike 21 speed Shimano.
Equipped with value parts like Shimano A050 Shifters, a hi-ten 700 c 1 1/8” threadless fork the bike assures a smooth ride for the daily commuters.
Offered at a meager price range of 200-300$, the bike can be a preferable pick for the first time buyers.
With a double butted aluminium frame 6061 and 700c Doubled walled CNC machined sides, the bike is lighter in weight as compared to others in this category. Although for a prolonged keep, limited use of the bike on rough patches is recommended as the bike is suitable for smooth surfaces.
A forged alloy 50/40/30 crankset and alloy caliper brakes, the bike lacks an adjustable brake pad which is a limitation to this category bikes.
Available in various sizes and two colors, the bike is suited for any age and gender which makes it a strong point for buying. The favorable looks, shifters, and derailleurs are the qualities that put an extra tick on the buyer’s checklist. Given all the features and price, undoubtedly this is one of the best road bikes for beginners.
2. GMC Denali Road BikeB00FNVBSAM
GMC is a licensed brand of Kent that includes road bikes and mountain bikes. GMC road bikes are a perfect blend of high quality at affordable price.
If one looks for a mid-way between a solid professional road bike and a lightweight daily commuter bike, the search ends here at GMC Denali Road Bike, 700c,48 cm frame.13 kg weighing professionally built bike is rather suited for both smooth as well as rough terrain.
Manufactured in a lightweight aluminium frame with the 21-speed mechanism, the bike is available in varied size from small to large with color options of black and green.
The bike has a wide range of quality features in this category. It encompasses Shimano derailleur and Shimano Revo allowing an easy shifting of gears by the commuter. The racing rims are of high-profile alloy Vitesse with alloy calipers and alloy brake levers stand strong on rough patches and potholes. High-performance 700c tires make the bike a suitable pick for street racing challenges and light trails.
However, the lever placement far too low on the handlebars somehow obstructs the smooth ride.
To check out the limitations, the placement of brake levers, efficiency of rear brakes and the comfort level of the seats will make it a preferable option.
3. GIORDANO LIBERO Road BikeB00OJX8XV2
Flying down the hills at 35mph could be an electrifying practice at minimal charge with this 700c Giordano Libero 1.6 Road bike.
Inspired by the Italian road bike, it is available in varied sizes of small to large for men. It features a lightweight handcrafted 6061 aluminium frame at 16 speed Shimano STI driven train. The aluminium frame is strong enough to handle extensive road use.
32 spoke high profile quick release alloy rims and 1 1/8” threadless stem are the additional features of this sports category bike.However, this best beginner road bike s only available in the red/white color combo. The 16 Speed Shimano Claris STI shifters are relatively simpler to use and can be shifted with ease.
The handlebar tape is of amazing quality but due to its white color, it gets dirtier very quickly. The best part is that along with this bike comes with a kickstand, which is great to use. Offering an economical comfortable ride to the commuters, the bike lags behind in its inner brake handles which hinders a smooth city ride.
Looking for a rather faster speed and commuting in the busy streets require some upgrading of components like tires, tubes, and brakes. It is recommended that if you purchase this bike, be ready to invest in upgraded brakes.
4. Vilano Shadow Road BikeB00CLV5ZVK
Vilano has something in store to match to every biker needs. This brand is one of the most reputed brands in the bike industry.
For the ones looking out for commuting, riding and exercising in an affordable manner can watch out for this entry-level sports bike Vilano Shadow road bike.
A lightweight 6062 aluminium frame with an integrated headset, the bike features Shimano STI shifters, 700c 1 1/8” threadless, front derailleur, Shimano rear derailleur, Shimano Tourney, double alloy crankset and 700 doubled walled CNC alloy machined side rims.
The Shimano STI shifters marks for a convenient ride and easy shift in a single unit with controllable braking.
The bike comes with free pedals, 14 speeds and dual pivot alloy caliper brakes and alloy handlebars.
With ample features covered in the mere pricing of $$$, the bike is available in various sizes.Although the bike is a favorable option for novice riders, the features like the seat , 700c *25 c tires demand regular upgradation to prevent from worn out.
5. Tommaso Imola Compact Aluminum Road BikeB01ACEYCV6
Tommaso headquartered in Denver, Colorado, United States was founded in 1985. Since then the brand has expanded to include various types of road bikes that are known for their quality features and affordability.
Ready to ride build is what can be the perfect description for the lightweight aluminium framed Tommaso Imola road bike.With a weight of 23.8 lbs, the bike is available in various sizes from XS to XL.
Its immense features comprise of Shimano Claris shifters and derailleurs proposing a smooth and consistent shifting of gears while Shimano Claris Brake calipers bids for a quick reliable braking power.
SLA 6061 aluminium framed lightweight road bike can be a durable ride for years with a Tommaso TRS performance Seatpost, VDT steel fork accounts for easy to use quick release system while the Tommaso Corsa TC20 rims deliver a lightweight performance for any type of riding.
The ultralight compact bars provide shadow drops for ease in using the drop with flat tops for added comfort. 24 speeds of pure performance the bike can climb like a dream and accepts the challenge of many miles of hard riding.
Be it a busy city ride or long rides for fitness, the bike is the best beginner road bike in the market.
6. Schwinn Men’s Phocus Drop Bar Road BicycleB00AWNI07K
Schwinn is one of the top road bike brands that has made some of the best road bikes for beginners. Not only this, they even manufacture some of the best road bikes for women.
A perfect synonym for fitness regime is the Schwinn Phocus 1400 which is a lightweight yet sturdy bike comfortable for the long routes. Established in 1895 by Ignaz Schwinn in Chicago, it’s a trusted name for every age group which makes it a perfect road bike.
This bike has 14 speeds to offer and features Shimano front and rear derailleur with A050 shifters, making it super easy for shifting the gears.
The high-profile alloy rims are paired with spokes and the alloy caliper road brakes provide full control over stopping the bike. The whole wheel-setup is amazing and gives strength to the bike.
This Black colored sports bike offers sizes to fit diverse age groups and make it a comfortable run.
There is also an SR Suntour alloy crank that provides you with a wide gear range. It also has a convenient quick release feature that allows for easy transportation and storage. Another plus point is the saddle, which offers a quick release function for easy height adjustments. This road bike has Kenda 700C tires that minimize the rolling resistance. However, some users may find that the brake levers are not up to the mark and need upgradation.
Another plus point is the saddle, which offers a quick release function for easy height adjustments. This road bike has Kenda 700C tires that minimize the rolling resistance. However, some users may find that the brake levers are not up to the mark and need upgradation.
Be it your first ride, a short excursion or a training regime, the brand is trusted for its quality and value. Equipped with aluminium road frame, the bike comes with a rigid fork for quick agile riding.
Below is the comparison table of some of the best road bikes under 500, that will help you analyse these products better:
It is really important to find a bicycle that works for you, i.e. one that fits your budget and requirements. Honestly, nobody can tell you that’s what right for you. You need to find out for yourself. If you want to buy best mountain bikes under 500, you can visit here.
To really enjoy the comfort of cycling, always go for a test drive before making the actual purchase. Take your bike for a tune-up before use, so as to enjoy a smooth ride.