🚲20 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 1 🚲20 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Best To Buy
- 3 Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Comparison Chart in 2021
- 4 🥇[TOP 20] Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews
- 4.1 A. Best Men’s Mountain Bikes Under $500
- 4.2 1. Best Mountain Bikes for Men: Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike
- 4.3 2. Best for Rough Mountain Roads Ride: Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- 4.4 3. Highly recommended: Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
- 4.5 4. Best Affordable: Diamondback Overdrive
- 4.6 5. Best for Smooth and Safe Shifting: Gravity FSX 1.0 Mountain Bike
- 4.7 6. Best for Bump Reducing: Kent KZ2600 Mountain Bike
- 4.8 7. Best for Beginners: Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle
- 4.9 8. Best for Easily Assembling: Mongoose Impasse Mountain Bike
- 4.10 9. Best for Big Shapes Users: Mongoose Malus Adult Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- 4.11 10. Unprecedented Value: Hiland 27.5 Inch Front Suspension Mountain Bike
- 4.12 B. Best Women’s Mountain Bike Under $500
- 4.13 11. Best mountain bike for women: Mongoose Status 2.2 Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bike
- 4.14 12. Best affordable bike for women: Hiland 26/27.5 Inch Aluminum Mountain Bike for Women
- 4.15 13. Best for all terrains women’s bike: 27.5″ Royce Union RMT Women’s 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- 4.16 14. Best for easy speed shifting: Huffy 26 Inch Women’s Trail Runner Mountain Bike
- 4.17 15. Best for new users: Roadmaster R8047WMDS Women’s Granite Peak Mountain Bike
- 4.18 C. Best Mountain Bikes For Kids Under $500
- 4.19 16. Best budget mountain bike for kids: Diamondback Bicycles Cobra 20 Youth 20″ Wheel Mountain Bike, Orange
- 4.20 17. Best kids mountain bike: Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike for Boys
- 4.21 18. Best value mountain bike for kids: RALEIGH Rowdy
- 4.22 19. Best adaptable mountain bike for kids: Raleigh Bikes Tokul 24 Kids Mountain Bike for Boys & Girls
- 4.23 20. Best dual-suspension kids mountain bikes: Mongoose Exlipse Full Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike for Kids
- 5 Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Best To Buy
There are some well-known brands on the market whose products you may find in this article as follows. Huffy has started producing mountain bikes since 1892, widely known for its innovative and updated technique to make bikes become strong, sturdy, and safe for users. Roadmaster has been popular for its high-quality products at reasonable prices for many years, while Schwinn is trusted by many consumers in the US because of the light and durable mountain bikes they provide. In addition, Mongoose may be a new name on the market, but not an unpopular one. The company is developing various techniques to enhance the quality of its bikes as well as bring the most comfort to its customers. Kent, the 2nd famous brand in the US, is preferred as the brand always brings its customers a value product for long-term use.
A. BEST MEN’S MOUNTAIN BIKES UNDER $500
1. Best Mountain Bikes for Men: Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike It is a strong and durable mountain bike that allows you to easily control and maintain your balance through different terrains. With notable features of the drivetrain system and suspension fork, it will bring you unprecedented value at an affordable price.
2. Best for Rough Mountain Roads Ride: Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike Huge sizes tire and the Shimano rear derailleur provide a stable experience during the ride, while the safe brake system enables you to stop anytime you want without any slippery issues.
3. Highly recommended: Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike There will be two frame material options for you to choose the most suitable one for you. All optimal accessories are chosen to satisfy even the highest requirements.
4. Best Affordable: Diamondback Overdrive Coming with an aluminum frame, this bike is not only budget-friendly but also ensures that everything is controlled during your ride time.
5. Best for Smooth and Safe Shifting: Gravity FSX 1.0 Mountain Bike The dual suspension system and the mechanical disc brakes at both front and rear are available to allow immediate stops on any terrain. The Shimano drive train and shifters are chosen to enable you to easily shift up to 24 speeds.
6. Best for Bump Reducing: Kent KZ2600 Mountain Bike A dual suspension bike that will be able to reduce bump and help you feel comfortable on even the rough mountain road.
7. Best for Beginners: Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle A full-suspension mountain bike is a wonderful choice for people who want to start riding, with all high-quality accessories to bring an enjoyable experience.
8. Best for Easily Assembling: Mongoose Impasse Mountain Bike Light-weighted frame, this simple to assemble mountain bike is an ideal product for people who had a hard time handling other big and heavy products.
9. Best for Big Shapes Users: Mongoose Malus Adult Fat Tire Mountain Bike If you are struggling to find a powerful and sturdy mountain bike, then this one with 7-speed derailleur and 4” tires is a perfect choice.
10. Unprecedented Value: Hiland 27.5 Inch Front Suspension Mountain Bike This mountain bike gets a double Hydraulic disc brakes system and a lock-out suspension fork which helps you to control and enjoy your riding more. Two-frame choices are also available, so this one is definitely valued for its price.
B. BEST WOMEN’S MOUNTAIN BIKE UNDER $500
11. Best mountain bike for women: Mongoose Status 2.2 Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bike Not only is it a powerful mountain bike, but this model is also light and simple to handle. Female users will not have any difficulty riding with it thanks to the safety brake system and a front suspension fork to reduce bump and bring more control.
12. Best affordable bike for women: Hiland 26/27.5 Inch Aluminum Mountain Bike for Women You will get an aluminum alloy frame, Shimano rear derailleur, and 2 frame sizes at a very reasonable price.
13. Best for all terrains women’s bike: 27.5″ Royce Union RMT Women’s 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike All superior accessories are used to ensure your comfort and safety while riding, along with a light and durable frame which is guaranteed for 10 years. This bike is perfect to be ridden on different terrains and weather conditions.
14. Best for easy speed shifting: Huffy 26 Inch Women’s Trail Runner Mountain Bike Coming with more control on speed and stopping at any time you want, this bike will keep you safe and stay comfortable on even muddy terrains.
15. Best for new users: Roadmaster R8047WMDS Women’s Granite Peak Mountain Bike Being a product from one of the most popular brands, this mountain bike is suitable for those who have just started riding. Everything you need is available with this bike, which will allow you to have a safe and enjoyable ride time.
C. BEST MOUNTAIN BIKES FOR KIDS UNDER $500
16. Best budget mountain bike for kids: Diamondback Bicycles Cobra 20 Youth 20″ Wheel Mountain Bike, Orange Not only affordable, but this bike is also stable and simple to assemble so that it is ideal for your kids to start riding with it.
17. Best kids mountain bike: Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike for Boys This bike has the Kolo suspension fork and Shimano rear derailleur to make sure your kids stay safe from any slippery issues on their roads.
18. Best value mountain bike for kids: RALEIGH Rowdy Besides being a lightweight and strong mountain bike, the model gets a V-brake system and Shimano shifters to make your kids’ riding become safe and enjoyable.
19. Best adaptable mountain bike for kids: Raleigh Bikes Tokul 24 Kids Mountain Bike for Boys & Girls Unlike other bikes on the market, the model enables you to easily change the height of the seat to suit your kid’s height. Huge tires are also available to help your kids to maintain balance on the road.
20. Best dual-suspension kids mountain bikes: Mongoose Exlipse Full Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike for Kids The dual suspension as well as 21 speeds shifter, 3-piece crank are available to ensure no slippery issues will happen during your kid’s riding.
Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 – Comparison Chart in 2021
|Check Price||Best Mountain Bikes Under $500||Weight||Gear||Wheel Size||Frame||Suspension|
|A. MEN’S MOUNTAIN BIKES UNDER $500|
|1. Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike||40 lbs||21-speed||24''||Lightweight Aluminum||Front Suspension|
|2. Mongoose Dolomite Mens Mountain Bike||59 lbs||7-speed||26”||17” steel||Rigid|
|3. Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike||30 lbs||7-speed or 21-speed||20’’||Steel||Rigid|
|4. Diamond Back Mountain Bike||32 lbs||24-speed||27.5''||Aluminum||Front Suspension|
|5. Gravity FSX 1.0 Mountain Bike||35 lbs||24-speed||26”||17” Aluminum||Dual suspension|
|6. Kent KZ2600 Mountain Bike||40 lbs||21-speed||26”||Aluminum||Dual suspension|
|7. Merax 26" Mountain Bicycle||46.6 lbs||21-speed||26”||Aluminum||Dual suspension|
|8. Mongoose Impasse Mountain Bike||44 lbs||21-speed||29”||18” Aluminum alloy||Dual suspension|
|9. Mongoose Malus Mountain Bike||55 lbs||7-speed||26”||18” Steel||Rigid|
|10. Hiland 27.5 Inch Mountain Bike||40.65 lbs||27-speed||27.5’’||18’’ Aluminum||Hardtail|
|B. WOMEN’S MOUNTAIN BIKE UNDER $500|
|11. Mongoose Status 2.2 Mountain Bike||44.3 lbs||21-speed||26”||Aluminum||Dual suspension|
|12. Hiland 26/27.5 Inch Mountain Bike||38 lbs||24-speed||27.5''||Aluminum Alloy||Front or Full suspension|
|13. 27.5″ Royce Women’s Mountain Bike||41.85 lbs||21-speed||27.5''||Aluminum||Front Suspension|
|14. Huffy 26 Inch Women’s Mountain Bike||43.3 lbs||18-speed||26"||Steel frame||Dual suspension|
|15. Roadmaster R8047WMDS Women’s Mountain Bike||14.00 lbs||18-speed||26"||Steel frame||Front Suspension|
|C. MOUNTAIN BIKES FOR KIDS UNDER $500|
|16. Diamondback Cobra Mountain Bike,||~28 lbs||6-speed||20"||Durable steel frame|
|17. Huffy Kids Mountain Bike||35.2 lbs||6-speed||20"||Steel frame||Front Suspension|
|18. RALEIGH Rowdy||23.3 lbs||7-speed||24"||Aluminum|
|19. Raleigh Bikes Tokul Mountain Bike||26.5 lbs||7-speed||24”||Aluminum frame||Front Suspension|
|20. Mongoose Exlipse Mountain Bike||33.07 lbs||21-speed||24”||Steel frame||Full Dual-Suspension|
🥇[TOP 20] Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 Dollars Reviews
A. Best Men’s Mountain Bikes Under $500
Below are our top 10 Best Men’s Mountain Bikes Under $500 for you to take a look at.
1. Best Mountain Bikes for Men: Huffy Hardtail Mountain Bike
- Assembly tutorial is located in the related video shorts section; The Huffy Tekton is ideal for ages 12-19 and a rider height of 58-70 inches; the acid green finish has a clear gloss overcoat for a remarkable look
- The lightweight aluminum hardtail frame is backed by our limited 10-year warranty (see owner's manual for details); Aluminum (much lighter than steel) provides more rolling momentum so it's easier to pedal for speed and acceleration
- Well designed for a safe and wonderful riding experience
- Suitable for different topographic
- Some customers don’t like the gear ratio
2. Best for Rough Mountain Roads Ride: Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- Conquer any off-road trail with ease with this steel-framed mountain bike with supersized all-terrain knobby tires
- The threadless headset is adjustable for riders of different heights; For added speed and performance, the strong, lightweight alloy rims keep the weight down
- Reasonably priced
- Huge tires and rear derailleur for safe and comfortable riding
- Warranted for life time
- Quite heavy for some people
3. Highly recommended: Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike
- Durable mountain bike designed for trails and neighborhood rides
- Alloy crank provides steady gearing and less maintenance
- 2 high quality material choices
- Well designed for safe and enjoyable riding
- Sporty and strong looking
- Some customers feel that it is rather large
4. Best Affordable: Diamondback Overdrive
- Aluminum alloy hard tail frame is tried and true
- Custom formed and butted tubing for great balance of strength and weight
- Stable yet light thanks to the aluminum frame
- Well designed to suit different conditions of road and weather
- Only one color option available
5. Best for Smooth and Safe Shifting: Gravity FSX 1.0 Mountain Bike
- Disc Brakes Front and Rear, Strong and Durable Aluminum Frames
- Easy to Use Shimano Shifters
- Flexible shifting with 24 speeds
- Light and easy to assemble
- Won’t cost you much
- Some customers believe the pedals need to be enhanced
6. Best for Bump Reducing: Kent KZ2600 Mountain Bike
- 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame
- Suspension fork 65mm travel
- Reasonably priced
- Safe brake system for easier and quicker control
- Suitable for different terrain
- Some customers think this bike will be better with a drink holder
7. Best for Beginners: Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle
- 🚲 Front suspension forks design smooths bumps while biking and increases control for fluid riding
- 🚲 Fitted Shimano 24-speed derailleurs and shifters for reliable and smooth gear shifting
- Budget friendly
- Simple to assemble
- High quality features
- Works well with people who are under 200 pounds
8. Best for Easily Assembling: Mongoose Impasse Mountain Bike
- Aluminum suspension frame maximizes comfort & performance
- Element suspension fork smooths the bumps and increases control
- 21-speed swifter
- Safe brake system
- Easy to assemble
- Reasonable price
- Some customers believe the quality of gears should be improved
9. Best for Big Shapes Users: Mongoose Malus Adult Fat Tire Mountain Bike
- Steel mountain-style fat tire frame
- Rear derailleur for smooth gear changes
- Can be suitable for people who are in big shape
- Strong and durable frame
- Safe disc brakes system and 7-speed swifter available
- There’s a shortage of color choices
10. Unprecedented Value: Hiland 27.5 Inch Front Suspension Mountain Bike
- This bike has a high quality ultralight aluminum frame and an inner wire design
- The brake system consists of double Hydraulic disc-Brake. And 27-speed Shifters ensures total control in every situation.
- Premium quality accessories
- Reasonably priced
- 2 frames height options available
- Some customers think the seat part needs upgrading
B. Best Women’s Mountain Bike Under $500
Besides some mountain bikes for men, we also give you some of the best women’s mountain bike under $500
11. Best mountain bike for women: Mongoose Status 2.2 Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bike
- Aluminum MTB frame with hydroformed tubing and a powerful front suspension fork is strong and reliable; 26-inch wheels fit riders 64 to 74 inches tall
- 21-speed shifters make for smooth gear changes on every ride
- Powerful yet lightweight
- Brings you a safe and comfortable ride thanks to superior accessories
- Two-color options
- Some customers prefer a bottle holder on this bike for better experience
12. Best affordable bike for women: Hiland 26/27.5 Inch Aluminum Mountain Bike for Women
- The special geometry of the frame was designed for women.Special upper tube and small frame are more suitable for female cycling
- The brake system consists of double disc-Brake. And 24-speed Shifters ensures total control in every situation.
- Two frame sizes with suitable tires
- Easy and quick to assemble
- Some customers think the manual guide needs to be more specific
13. Best for all terrains women’s bike: 27.5″ Royce Union RMT Women’s 21-Speed All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- Assembly video under images; RMT is one great bike to ride; the hardtail frame is molded from durable, no-rust aluminum, lighter than steel; that makes this bike easier to accelerate, easier to maintain momentum, and easier to handle
- All tools are included for fast assembly; 15-inch frame is for a minimum inseam of 25.25 inches; 17 inch frame is also available; Zoom suspension fork delivers solid performance
- Easy to assemble
- Different frame sizes options available
- The frame is warranted for 10 years
- Some customers don’t like the handle parts
14. Best for easy speed shifting: Huffy 26 Inch Women’s Trail Runner Mountain Bike
- FEATURE: Dual suspension frame and suspension fork combine with Shimano derailleur for great riding over a mix of terrain
- Frame and Fork: Dual Suspension steel frame in Black and Hot Pink suspension fork for a superior responsive ride Grips: Krayton grips give a performance look and comfort feel to your ride
- Quick to assemble
- Suitable to ride on different terrains
- Well designed for safe and comfortable rides
- Some customers believe the quality of pedals needs changing
15. Best for new users: Roadmaster R8047WMDS Women’s Granite Peak Mountain Bike
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
- Strong and stable
- 18 smooth speed changes
- Some people believe the tires quality needs improving
C. Best Mountain Bikes For Kids Under $500
Here are some Best Mountain Bikes For Kids Under $500 options for your consideration.
16. Best budget mountain bike for kids: Diamondback Bicycles Cobra 20 Youth 20″ Wheel Mountain Bike, Orange
- Shimano 6-speed drivetrain with trigger shifter makes shifting simple, giving little ones a boost on climbs
- Hl Zoom 40mm travel fork soaks up rocks and roots just like on a bike for Big kids
- Strong and durable steel frame
- Well designed to suit different ages
- Won’t take you long to assemble
- A kickstand is preferred according to some customers’ reviews
17. Best kids mountain bike: Huffy Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike for Boys
- Assembly tutorial video located beside the images; with a gloss blue hardtail frame and 6 speeds to aggressively ride, the Huffy Stone Mountain is ready for epic outdoor fun; just follow the steps in our product manual
- Ideal for ages 5-9 and a rider height of 44-56 inches; durable steel frame is backed by our limited lifetime warranty (see owner's manual for details); Kolo 1200 suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride
- Brings you a stable support
- Simple to assemble
- Ensures safe and comfortable rides
- Some customers believe its steel frame makes it not portable
18. Best value mountain bike for kids: RALEIGH Rowdy
- Aluminum frame for lightweight durability; fits ages 8 to 12 years old or 53 to 62 inches tall
- Offers 7 speeds to choose from to go faster and make hills easier
- Suitable for both boys and girls
- Light yet durable
- Won’t take you long to assemble
- Various wheels’ sizes and color options to choose
- Shifters should be enhanced a little
19. Best adaptable mountain bike for kids: Raleigh Bikes Tokul 24 Kids Mountain Bike for Boys & Girls
- Aluminum frame with low standover for easy on/off
- SR Suntour suspension fork offers 50mm of travel to soak up bumps
- Comes with pedals
- Seat that can be adjusted
- Rather costly
20. Best dual-suspension kids mountain bikes: Mongoose Exlipse Full Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike for Kids
- Steel frame is lightweight and strong
- Alloy wheels
- 21 speeds available
- Safe brakes system
- Some customers think the steel frame is quite heavy and easy to get rust
Must Read Points Before Purchasing a Mountain Bike
Budget– As here we are discussing the best mountain bikes under 500 dollars, so the budget itself plays an important part in selecting the bike. The buyer should not think that in a specific range budget the quality will be compromised. It’s just that one has to look carefully and explore all the options in the market available and choose the best one. Some famous brands do put up a sale and buyers should look out for that sales and grab the deal. Terrain– These bikes offer you specific terrain options to ride on whether it is off-road or paved roads, bikes wheels, and frames are designed according to the terrain they are made to ride on. These are the different bikes –
- Trail bikes– specifically designed for local trails. And if a local trail is your need of the hour then just go for trail bikes.
- Cross-country bikes– known by the name of XC bikes, these are the most common and loved by the riders of this field. Select them if you need to have a race on the local trails or crossing the steep or rough local trails.
- Fat bikes– as the name speaks these are the bikes with fat or wide tires. Perfect for beginners as it will be helpful on rough terrain due to its wide tires and for beginners, safety has always been an issue.
- Enduro bikes– these are all-mountain purpose bikes. Its lightweight makes it stand out from the other bikes as it easy to pedal uphill and easier to cross steep climbs.
- Downhill bikes– These bikes mostly serve the purpose of competition and racing as with these easy to pedal over any obstacle. They require full safety during the rides i.e. full pads and full-face helmets. They are not meant for beginners in any way.
Brakes– when speed plays its role side by side it is very important that the brakes should work best with the speed. One should always look for hydraulic brakes, not for the mechanical linear-pull or the cable ones. Hydraulic brakes provide a powerful and precise result in a timeless than the cable ones and are easy to maintain also. Types of bike suspension– covered by three types – full suspension, hardtail, and rigid.
- Full suspensions are the ones with front and rear suspension both offering the extra comfort during the adventurous ride.
- Hardtail bikes have only the front suspension resulting in lightweight riders and rider can easily peddle uphill rather than in full-suspension bikes. But it reduces the comfort one is getting on full suspension bikes.
- A rigid suspension is with no suspension on either side, front, or back. They are rarely found and are specifically designed for a particular purpose.
Gears– with an option to choose from single to 30 gears from different manufacturers. Shimano is the world leader in designing the gears and brake levers. If speed and climbing the steep slopes are the main motive opting for more gears is always the best. The more gears more easily the user will be able to ride on the steep surface with better speed. Size– various sizes are available in the market for the various heights. People can choose from many options according to their comfort, height, and body sizes. A test ride before a buy is the best option to choose the right bike for yourself. You may also look for more details about hitch bike racks for your own purpose.