- 1 15 Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 What To Consider When Purchasing A Motorcycle Helmet?
- 3 [TOP 15] Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews In 2021
- 3.1 1. Fuel Helmets SH-FF0016 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.2 2. Shoei RF-1200 Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.3 3. Duke Helmets DK-120 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.4 4. HJC CL-17 Mission Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.5 5. Bell Solid Adult Qualifier Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.6 6. Arai XD4 Adventure Helmet
- 3.7 7. AGV Sportmodular Modular Helmet
- 3.8 8. SHOEI RF-1400 Full Face Helmet
- 3.9 9. HJC RPHA-90S Modular Helmet
- 3.10 10. Bell Qualifier DLX Full face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.11 11. O’Neal Unisex-Adult Full face Style Sierra II Helmet
- 3.12 12. Bell Pit Boss Open-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.13 13. Shoei Solid Neotec II Modular Motorcycle Helmet
- 3.14 14. ScorpionExo Covert Unisex-Adult Half-Size-Style
- 3.15 15. Yema YM-926 Modular Helmet
- 3.16 16. Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS Full face Helmet
- 3.17 17. Bell Custom 500 Helmets
- 4 How To Differentiate Different Motorcycle Helmets Types?
- 5 Most Popular Motorcycle Helmet Brands
- 6 Conclusion
15 Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews, Tips & Guides
Which the best motorcycle helmet is best for your scenario, this article will support you to understand in a far better way. Body protection is the utmost important thing while riding a sportbike or cruiser. Helmet tops the chart while driving a two-wheeler. Buying a motorcycle helmet can be complex
There are far too many helmet options depending on your preference. Motorcycle Helmets designed for sportbikes and cruisers are completely different than the regular helmets.
A lot of high-edged brands deal in the sportbike helmet industry.
A lot of things; helmet size and head shape, Helmet Safety Ratings, Helmet Construction material, Helmet weight, price, etc. need to be considered before making a purchase.
For a beginner, a reasonably priced helmet loaded with adequate features is the best purchase. Take a look at some of the best motorcycle helmets designed by some of the best brands in the market:
If you are a fan of riding motorcycle and have trouble with finding the right helmet, then you definitely must read the article below in which we will support you to understand in a far better way. What is so important to find the right helmet? You may ask. The point is, if the helmet you choose does not fit your head and give you a comfortable feel, it does not only make your ride unpleasant but also may put you at risk of road accidents.
There are far too many helmet options depending on your preference. In general, motorcycle helmets designed for sport bikes and cruisers are completely different from the regular helmets. There are many famous brands in the industry, and we know that this is confusing. There are many factors that you should take into consideration including size, head shape, safety ratings, construction material, weight and price. All of them will be analyzed carefully in this article. Not to mention, the special features of each product will be explored to give you better insight into how to choose the right motorcycle helmet.
What To Consider When Purchasing A Motorcycle Helmet?
There are many things a product can offer apart from its price, and a motorcycle helmet is no exception. It is even more essential to do your research carefully when it comes to purchasing protective equipment, your safety should be the priority. Therefore, you should keep in mind a set of factors and compulsory requirements needed when choosing not just the best but the right motorcycle helmet for you exclusively. Find out how below.
Certification of Safety Standards
A certified motorcycle helmet is one that complies with 218 guidelines from the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The Department of Transportation (D.O.T) introduces these regulations and measures to establish compulsory safety procedures and testing, for each and every helmet sold in the United States. Therefore, unless you see a visible “DOT” label on the back of a motorcycle helmet, you know you should never purchase that one. It is very uncommon for that to happen but it is possible, so, be careful.
If you live in different parts of the world, each administrative area requires different certifications respectively in a similar sense, and they can be obtained through the third parties. The certifications can be broken down to certain degrees regarding different needs and safety requirements for each purpose and situation. Therefore, make sure you research into these carefully and thoroughly to protect yourself at all times.
A Comfort Fit for Your Head Size
Safety first and then it is about comfort and effectiveness. A motorcycle helmet is your best buddy throughout a long, exciting and potentially dangerous ride; thus, you should find something that sits right and snugly for the size of your head. Make sure you get your head measured beforehand and try on the helmet prior to purchasing. Different brands usually offer different material choices for the inner padding as well so make use of the trial wear. Moreover, most helmets come with a chinstrap, so you should examine if it is strong and stable enough for your purpose. Also, remember to fasten and adjust it accordingly so that it holds the helmet securely and comfortably around your head.
Helmet Ventilation & Visibility
Anything from a ¾ helmet to a full-head helmet can easily suffocate you without proper ventilation channels. It is essential, especially during long rides in hot and humid climates. Therefore, if you do not want to have an oven covering your head, look for a motorcycle helmet with a great airing system. This allows fresh air to emerge inside the helmet, which offers suitable oxygen circulation and wind flow to lower the internal temperature, a win for comfort and goodbye to sweat.
In dark and foggy environments, a great vision is a lifesaver, and a great helmet should enhance that instead of reducing it. Your gear needs to provide a clear view of your surroundings and obstacles on the road in all kinds of riding conditions. A few examples are helmets with anti-glare feature for night rides, or anti-fog feature to prevent your breath from smuggling the visor. If your visor is not insulated, you can get separate goggles. Furthermore, they give you extra block against dirt and flying insects and protect your eyes from other environmental factors.
Construction & Design Features
Once again, you should always prioritize safety over price and not the other way around. Therefore, it is recommended that you find a good balance between the protective construction and your budget. We assure you a proper gear costs you less than a medical bill, especially in the US.
Have you ever been in awe looking at a helmet someone is wearing? Well, why don’t you get something aesthetically and personally meant for you? The outer style and design of the helmet will not influence its effectiveness, so, have fun selecting what expresses you best. You get to choose the colors, the designs, the graphics and more. Moreover, if you have an artistic side and prefer customization, no one is stopping you from styling your helmet following the purchase. Unleash your inner creativity and do not settle for less.
Do you know you can add a speaker and microphone to your helmet? Thanks to the advance of technology, your gear also includes Bluetooth connectivity. These modern features give you easy access to your phone calls while you are out and about. Understandably, this hand-free experience calls for a slightly expensive price, but there is no free lunch. They can, however, be made an additional option to your primary helmet, so you can consider the installation after usage.
Price Point & Warranty
The price should be the last thing we look at though it is no less important compared to other factors. You should get adequate quality for the amount you put out. Our advice is to research thoroughly, set your needs and purpose straight, try on the gear, and make wise decisions with safety as your main priority!
Also, keep an eye out for a warranty. Some helmets do come with different time-length warranty policies respectively. This adds to the overall value of the helmet as well as cover any potential problems and errors at no cost.
[TOP 15] Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews In 2021
What does the best motorcycle helmet look like? Well, there are not just one but we can name quite a few. Each one is the best motorcycle helmet regarding its respective aspects. Therefore, the right question is “which one actually works best for your purpose?” If you are ready to find out, welcome to our list of amazing headgears.
1. Fuel Helmets SH-FF0016 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
This high-quality helmet by one of the best motorcycle brands comes at an affordable price and given all its features, is a great value for money.
In simple words, it is a replica of some high-quality expensive helmets that gives exactly the same benefits but at a lesser price.
Take a look at the features of one of the coolest motorcycle helmets available:
- Design– This elegant black color helmet speaks of quality and is available in four sizes – small, medium, large, and extra-large. Usually, the problem with most of the helmets is that they don’t support the goggles, making it uncomfortable for the rider who wears spectacles or goggles. To counter this problem, SH-FF0016 Full Face Helmet comes with a mega-sized eye-port to support goggles.
- Material– This lightweight helmet is made of thermoplastic shell. It is also UV-resistant and protects you from the UV rays.
- Ventilation– The dual-vented diffuser system(front and back vents) combined with the internal channel vent system supports the air-flow around your head giving the rider a sigh of relief and comfort especially during humid weather.
- Maintenance– The cheek pads and visor can be easily cleaned as they are removable.
- Comfort– The helmet encapsulates a D-ring closure via which the chin strap is adjusted so that the helmet fits well and the excess chin strap does not create any hindrance while riding the bicycle.
- Certifications– It is DOT FMVSS N.218 approved that ensures the quality standards of safety in case of any mishap. This approval is proof of the rigorous tests this helmet had gone through to ensure the safety of the rider.
- It is DOT certified that is a guarantee of high-quality standards. Moreover, in this category and range, this is the first lowest profile design that has been approved by DOT.
- This helmet is UV-resistant, thus it protects you from the UV rays.
- As the visor and the cheek pads are removable, cleaning them is easier.
- It is built in a lightweight thermoplastic shell that provides adequate comfort.
- Even though it has a dual-vented diffuser system, the ventilation is not adequate.
- The makers have compromised on the quality of the chin strap. The plastic used on it makes it a bit fragile; posting comfort.
- It is a bit tighter than the typical size of helmets. So prefer a size bigger compared to what you are used to.
- It won’t provide protection against any ruthless crashes. Thus, it is not recommended for high-speed riding.
2. Shoei RF-1200 Motorcycle Helmet
Shoei is a brand associated with quality and they are known to make some of the best motorcycle helmets that are used by professional racers and everyday commuters alike.
Rare you will see a bike rider who is not familiar with their RF-series. Shoei RF-1200 is their new addition to this series. With the launch of this helmet, Shoei has taken the helmet game to a whole new level. Shoei RF-1200 is truly a star war motorcycle helmet and comes in with improved aerodynamics. The weight difference is not extreme, but it is definitely noticeable.
Take a look at the features of one of the most premium helmets by one of the best motorcycle helmets brands in the market:
- Certifications– The helmet comes with the DOT and Snell certifications which speak and guarantee quality standards.
- Shape– This helmet has an oval internal shape that will fit the majority of heads. Its streamlined shell is made of the most advanced technology available. The graphics of this helmet are truly condemnable and the solid colors on the helmet are pleasing to the eyes. This beauty comes in a lot of colors for you to choose from.
- Design– Shoei is claiming that RF-1200 is the lightest Snell-certified helmet it has ever produced. Lighter helmets make longer rides more comfortable. The RF-1200 comes in four shell sizes ranging from XS to XXL. The shell is made from Multi-Ply Matrix AIM. The highlighting part of this helmet is that the company has used speaker pockets effectively. These are filled with a noise-deadening foam, utilizing the otherwise empty space.
- Ventilation– One of the best things about this helmet is its ventilation. You can actually feel the air on top of your head. The icing on the cake is a lower air intake at the chin guard of this helmet, which brings in a lot of air into the helmet that helps in keeping the sweat off your face.
- Noise– With the RF-1200, Shoei has worked in reducing the helmet noise. The improved aerodynamics have played an important role in reducing the noise levels reaching the rider’s ears. No buffeting is experienced even at the highest speeds, but don’t forget to wear earplugs when riding on the highway.
- Padding– With RF-1200, the company has introduced a 3D Max-Dry System II that features different cheek pad sizes for a custom fit. The padding is so soft that you don’t have to worry about any rashes on your face. The chin guard is made from an Emergency Quick Release System that lends more softness to the whole helmet.
- Vision– It is installed with a Pinlock-insert-equipped CWR-1 shield for a broader vision. The best part is that it protects you from the harmful UV rays and fog. Undoubtedly, Pinlock laminate is the best anti-fog setup you will ever see. It will keep your visor fog-free. That QR-E base plate system is equipped with a fine-tuning dial on each side for an even better deal. The adjustable screws on the face shield add to the comfort of the rider.
This helmet truly stands out in all the parameters to be in the list of Best Motorcycle Helmets. It captures best of the features and is a premium helmet that won’t disappoint. Take a look at the pros and cons:
- The shell is appropriately proportioned to the head size making it feel instantly comfortable. The concise size of the outer shell makes this helmet lightweight.
- Wind noise is exceptionally low, all credits to the better aerodynamics. This is one of the quieter helmets available in the market.
- RF-1200 is the lightest Snell-certified helmet ever produced.
- For a broader vision, it is installed with a Pinlock-insert-equipped CWR-1 shield.
- A bit pricey if compared to the other models in the same segment.
- The ventilation is good but not great
- There is no sun visor present with the face-shield, but you can get it separately.
3. Duke Helmets DK-120 Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
Duke helmets under GDM provide a lot of benefits to the customers and are available at astonishing prices. Located in Los Angeles, United States of America, GDM is known to provide the best quality products with the highest safety standards.
Customer satisfaction is their topmost priority and they never fail to deliver the best quality products to their customers.
Duke is a brand that lets its helmets go through a plethora of tests before even launching them. Who doesn’t want to buy a durable helmet by one of the most trusted brands in the helmet industry? Take a look at its features:
- Composition– The DK-120 Helmet comes in five different sizes which means that there is a size to fit everyone. Lightweight and comfortable, this helmet has almost everything to match the rider needs. The shell is made out of composite poly-alloy material, and speaks of strength and ensures a comfortable ride even on long road journeys. Its aerodynamic and sleek design combined with the matte black paint is truly eye-catching. It only comes in a singular Matte Black color.
- Certifications– This helmet has been approved by DOT, which means safety is assured even at the highest speeds.
- Ventilation– To ensure proper airflow, there are 7 ventilation points on the helmet: two on the forehead, two on the cheeks, four at the back, and one in the front. You will never feel out of breath while wearing this helmet. Any unpleasant smell would also not stick around, making the whole riding experience an amazing one.
- Safety– The DK-120 Full Face Helmet was constructed adhering to the strict safety guidelines to meet or exceed the DOT FMVSS-218 motorcycle helmet safety standards. This full-face helmet has undergone some of the world’s harshest testing to make sure that the best protection is available in the toughest situations.
- Interior– Its interior compiles of a soft and durable liner with added cheek pads which are made from hypoallergenic and antimicrobial nylon. The best part about DK-120 is that its interior is easily detachable. So, you can easily remove, wash, and reinstall the interiors of this helmet.
- Visor– It comes with a bonus tinted visor which can be interchanged with the standard clear visor. With its Flush-fit, the side-coverless face shield looks stunning. The DK-120 Helmet face shield has compound curves that are scratch-resistant and provides protection against harmful UV-rays. The best part is that the sun visor can be easily lifted by pressing a button on top of the helmet.
- Bonus– With the purchase of the helmet you’ll be getting a bonus tinted visor along with a clear visor and a soft cloth carrying bag.
- It meets DOT regulations and guidelines.
- With its sleek design and dark black color, it looks amazing. It comes in five different sizes which means that there is a size to fit everyone.
- 7 ventilation points on the helmet ensure great airflow through the helmet while you are riding.
- The interior pads are easily detachable for easy cleaning.
- Includes a bonus tinted visor and cloth carrying bag.
- The sun visor lifts away with the press of a button on top of the helmet that means you can easily switch between the clear or tinted visor
- Liner and cheek pads made with a hypo-allergenic and antimicrobial nylon
- Only one color choice is available.
- This helmet has a full fixed face and that is not removable.
4. HJC CL-17 Mission Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
HJC has succeeded in maintaining the status as the number one helmet brand in North America. HJC offers a wide selection of helmets in the mid to high-end range segment.
HJC has its own state of the art wind tunnel testing laboratory to test for aerodynamics, ventilation, noise, etc.
HJC CL-17 Mission Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet is one of the most stylish and coolest motorcycle helmets available. This super-comfortable helmet is an improved version of the already-excellent HJC CL-16. Take a look at its features:
- Fit– The helmet comes in sizes from X-Small to 5XL so that even those with massive heads can comfortably fit in this helmet. The helmet comes in a variety of solid colors and approximately eight graphics.
- Shell– This lightweight helmet composes an advanced Polycarbonate Composite Shell. The CAD technology equipped in this helmet ensures a superior fit and comfort to the wearer.
- Ventilation– It is equipped with ACS Advanced Channeling Ventilation System; the smooth operating vents allow in the adequate airflow that flushes the heat and humidity out of the helmet. In total, there are 10 vents on the CL-17 and they are very easy to operate.
- Certifications– The CL-17 is both DOT and Snell certified. However, size 3XL-5XL of CL-17s are DOT only, they are not certified by Snell.
- Shield-The face shield has a 3D design for optimum optical clarity and includes 95-percent UV protection, an anti-scratch coating, and preparation for a Pinlock anti-fog insert. There is a side shield lock mechanism for an ultra-secure seal. For a better version of the Anti-Fog system, you can add an optional Pinlock insert (sold separately). The shield is “pin-lock ready” but the pin-lock insert is sold at an additional cost. Adding on, this helmet also has a RapidFire Shield Replacement System. This tool-less shield removal system is incredibly easy to use.
- Interior– This helmet is known for its comfortable interior. The crown and cheek pads are washable to keep it sanitary. The best part is that all sizes of cheek pads are interchangeable in all helmet sizes. The company claims its lining as SuperCool, which employs moisture-wicking, antibacterial fabric.
- The tool-less RapidFire Shield Replacement System is incredibly easy to use.
- It is both DOT and Snell certified.
- The Advanced Channeling Ventilation System provides front to rear airflow.
- The face shield delivers 95 UV protection and comes to Pinlock-ready for riders who want to use tear-offs
- This helmet is a bit noisy.
- A pin lock insert is not included. It has to be purchased separately.
- As it is composed of Poly-carbonate shell, it weighs a bit more as compared to other helmets.
5. Bell Solid Adult Qualifier Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet
Started in 1954, Bell has taken its name from the city in which it was born, Bell, California. With over more than 60 years of experience, Bell is one of the best motorcycle helmet brands known for its quality and performance. Whether for auto racing, motorcycling, or bicycling, Bell is synonymous amongst riders as one of the top and most appreciated brands.
Bell was the first brand to come out with a helmet for full-face and very first to combine inner form lining in a helmet with its outer shell. When it comes to safety, Bell helmets are the highest safety rated helmets on the market. They make the coolest motorcycle helmets for people who are speed-hungry. Their helmets are best-suited for speed lovers.
Bell has always been excellent about making equipment that speaks quality and style. Bell Solid Adult Qualifier Street Bike Racing Motorcycle Helmet is known for its aerodynamic ability. Take a look at its competitive features:
- Shield– This helmet comes with a clear shield and not a tinted one. But, the best part is that shield can be replaced effortlessly as this helmet is equipped with Click Release System. The shield is integrated with NutraFog II technology that prevents the formation of fog inside and outside the shield. The shield also gives superior protection against UV rays and any scratches.
- Composition– Made with a lightweight polycarbonate shell material, this helmet has a very attractive aerodynamic shell and comes in 3 different shell sizes.
- Certifications– It is approved by DOT, and meets ECE and AS safety standards. The best part is that this helmet comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Ventilation– It features adjustable vents that control the entry and restriction of air depending on the different weather conditions. Adjustable ventilation ensures comfort to the rider.
- Padding– The contour cheek pads are extremely comfortable and can be removed for easy cleaning. The cheek pads are comfortable enough to easily fit your head in the helmet. The helmet is enclosed securely through a padded chin strap with D-ring attachment. Wind collar padding drastically reduces road and wind noise
- Speakers– Integrated pockets are enclosed for audio speakers or headphones.
This helmet is a great fit for those who want a comfortable and durable helmet at a competitive price. Take a look at its pros and cons:
- Shell is made of lightweight polycarbonate materials that add to the durability.
- Unlike all other helmets that offer no warranty, this helmet comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Equipped with Click Release System, shield replacement becomes simpler.
- It is approved by DOT and meets ECE and AS safety standards.
- Speaker pockets for headphones are integrated.
- Padded chin strap with D-ring attachment ensures safety.
- As the ventilation system lets in too much air, this helmet becomes a bit noisy.
- No chin curtain is included to block out the air and noise.
- It only comes with a clear shield, so you need to spend an additional fee to get the tinted visor.
- Although the shield is scratch resistant, still it gets scratches easily. So you need to take great care of this helmet
6. Arai XD4 Adventure Helmet
This Arai XD4 comes into this list at no surprise. A high-quality product from a high-quality brand, this dual-sport helmet is a dream come true. It is your best friend, both on and off the road, offering optimum safety and unparalleled comfort. The gear has set the standard for all other high-end adventure helmets, being one of the all-time favorites among ADV riders.
If you can get your hands on one of these XD4 motorcycle helmets, you will personally experience and understand all the hype around it. Of course, such an offering emerges with an understandably higher price. Therefore, if you want the real deal and refuse to settle for less, this is a great investment. They say it is handmade with love, so let us look through the unique features the Arai XD4 Adventure Helmet provides:
- Certification– This unit is DOT approved (matching the FMVSS 218 Standard) and SNELL M2020 certified, which speaks for what kind of quality and protection it is capable of providing.
- Vision– The product offers the best visibility you can ask for with its ergonomic twin-cam, pivot visor. It opens up a multi-dimension vision door with clear views from all directions, an ideal feature for an exciting adventure just as its name indicates. Fogging on the visor’s inner side is effectively reduced thanks to the top-tier airing system.
- Ventilation– Excellent ventilation system and well-designed airing channels throughout the helmet are your best natural air conditioning, especially amid hot and humid weather. The unit also comes with generously sized cowl vents on both sides and well-sculptured exhaust ports. Thus, they increase air circulation as well as effectively minimizes heat and clearing interior air.
- Construction & Design– All parts come together in a strong and stable shell-shaped piece. It includes a vertically adjustable peak to aid better aerodynamics and direct airflow into the front channels. All the parts are removable, so you can adjust the construction according to your need and liking, such as removing the shield for the use of goggles. The oval-shaped helmet comes in three available colors including black frost, white and black.
- Composite & Padding- The base structure is composed of light, strong and sustainable fiberglass material. Inner padding materials are designed to be soft and light to maximize satisfaction and ease when wearing the helmet. Arai also offers different liner sizes to cater to a wider range of head widths and comfort desires. One more extra tip to add, these liners are fully washable and replaceable.
- Bonus- The unit provides an additional safety feature which is the emergency system that releases a cheek pad on possible damaging encounters.
- High-end, high-quality motorcycle helmet
- Comes with great comfort
- Best motorcycle helmet for visibility
- Superior ventilation, especially along the chin bar
- Padding can be washed and replaced
- On the high-end side of the helmet market
- Little noises will find their way into the helmet on acceleration
7. AGV Sportmodular Modular Helmet
AGV has always been reputable and reliable when it comes to helmets in the racing community. Superior safety, unparalleled comfort and innovation construction are just a few of what AGV’s leading products stand by.
This is the best lightweight motorcycle helmet on the current market, also probably one of the priciest products on this list. This gear we are looking at is a whole package of essentials that can easily surpass its similar competitors. Follow us as we are going to explore the features that make this helmet so amazing:
- Design– It is the very first of its kind- AGV’s famous Sportmodular helmet series. With this product line, AGV promises to offer whatever a full helmet can offer while maintaining the comfortable pleasure a modular motorcycle helmet is designated to bring. The gear comes with a set of color options, freshly ready for summer and complementary for your cool fits. That is why the full line is out of stock most of the time!
- Fit– The full structure is strong, consistent and stable while the weight is unbelievably light. It is this lightness, of only 3.2 pounds, that brings out the overall comfort during your long adventurous journeys. Furthermore, the Sportmodular motorcycle helmet line is specifically constructed to gently hold and fit right on your head with no unnecessary pressure.
- Composite– The primary structure, made up of the entire shell and the chin bar, is fully constructed from carbon fiber. Therefore, the helmet can have the durability and protection level of the AGV’s Pista GP Rc- which was previously created exclusively for MotoGP World Championship racers but is now available for any rider. It is even more incredible for the Sportmodular Helmet to obtain this range of performance and safety when it is the lightest motorcycle helmet.
- Visibility– Wide dimensional space of 190 degrees spans the vision just like the human eyes. In other words, there is not be a single redundant part that hinders your full vision of the surroundings and obstacles ahead. The helmet is equipped with a sun-block shield behind the main visor for additional protection against UV rays and sun-glare. Moreover, there is enough space for additional glasses, so you can use a pair of yours if you desire.
- Ventilation– This is the best modular helmet since it has gone through extended wind tunnel testing to advance its ventilation system and noise response to fineness. Airing channels are incorporated around the helmet with internal chin ports to evenly direct airflow across the visor, which can minimize and eliminate possible breath fogging. Furthermore, integrated spoilers are made adjustable for less agitation and more aerodynamic stability.
- Certification– Coming from an Italian leading sports gears company, the AGV Sportmodular is certified in both the Europe and the United States. Therefore, the helmet is approved by DOT and ECE altogether; thus, you can confidently purchase it for essential skull protection.
- The lightest motorcycle helmet made of carbon-fiber
- Comfortable and pressure-free fit
- High-quality materials like titanium are used for the finishing
- Extra sun-shield
- Quite pricey if you have a tight budget
8. SHOEI RF-1400 Full Face Helmet
If you have heard of the esteem Shoei RF-1200 Motorcycle Helmet, you will appreciate and enjoy its advanced successor even more. As the latest model from the prestigious RF series, Shoei RF-1400 Full Face Helmet claims to be produced with the latest innovation in street helmet technology. It has everything you can ask for in a premium motorcycle helmet for the road. Moreover, it is the best rated motorcycle helmet on this list. Let us dive further into its features:
- Construction- It is built in a compact, solid manner utilizing the AIM and AIM+ technology for the shell frame. This handmade Advance Integrated Matrix (AIM) forms on resin, organic fiber and fiberglass interlacing together by the layers. As a result, we are left with a stable, consistent yet incredibly flexible and lightweight base for the helmet. That is where magical craftsmanship begins.
- Certification– The product receives certifications from both SNELL 2020 and DOT, which basically assure you of the safety and quality it is capable of offering.
- Noise– The structure gives stable control over aerodynamics and increases safety on the road in extreme conditions. That combines with the airtight vision shield to minimize background noises from the wind and your surroundings.
- Vision– If you know what a Pinlock visor is, you will appreciate the ability to absorb moisture from this wonderful helmet part. Of course, SF-1400 is built upon only the best components, thus, Shoei has inserted in a Pinlock visor to protect your fog-less view.
- Design– The best motorcycle helmet when it comes to comfort. The helmet shell is offered in four sizes to cater to wider demographics with different head widths. The comfort wear also comes from the internal padded liners. The helmet embraces a gentle snug-in of your head and keeps it nice and warm. Moreover, padding helps to numb out the external noises and maintaining the quietness of the internal environment.
- Safety bonus– Shoei RF-1400 is designed to aid emergency procedures when an unfortunate event occurs. The cheek pads can be readily and safely removed from the helmet allowing the medical crew to perform emergency practice on the injured rider as soon and as effectively as possible.
- Obviously, the most comfortable full face helmet you have ever had
- No-fogging visor from Pinlock
- Superior materials on the superior structure
- Great value for money
- The external protective coating does not last for a long time
9. HJC RPHA-90S Modular Helmet
Are you ready to see superior protection coated with a modern and innovative finish? Well, look no further than the HJC RPHA-90S Modular Helmet. The gear is undoubtedly the best modular helmet of its generation, a full package of cool technology and innovative features. Let us have a closer look below:
- Shield– The visor has ergonomic visible space for a full and extended view span. The internal shield effectively provides up to 95 per cent of UV protection, which works well with the visor to protect the eyes from sun glare. This 3D shield is also coated with a fog-prevention lens and can be monitored systematically by a handy bottom level under the shell. Moreover, the face shield is fully removable and can be installed conveniently tool-free thanks to the RapidFire III shield reinstatement technology.
- Design– Modern and slick design that represents the latest motorcycle helmet generation will surprise you like a breeze of fresh air. There are 3 different sizes for the shell, so you have some options of what works best for you. Notably, one innovative key point is the release system for both the visor and the chin bar integrated into a single button. Thus, with just one pushing movement, this seemingly full face helmet will immediately shape-shift into a half one without any fuss.
- Other features- The helmet features a modifiable chin strap for extra security. There is also an additional glasses grove to enhance the use of external goggles. The interior made of special moisture-wicking fabric allows the padding to surface sweat and dry it as quickly as possible. This keeps the liners nice and cool around your head like a soft, comfy pillow.
- Composite- You should know that not all of the lightest motorcycle helmets are offered at this ridiculously affordable price range. Therefore, remember to take note here because this could be one of the most budget helmets made of polycarbonate (PC) currently on the market. At only 3.3 pounds, the helmet provides premium comfort and relatively less pressure around your head, all thanks to the modern CAD technology. In this sense, the helmet ensures comfort, great resistance and strength to bring safety up to another level.
- Ventilation– Ventilation vents are incorporated with style. The positioning and design of the breath guard really accentuates the fierce look of the chin line. Moreover, the helmet comes with five exhaust ports at the back and two optimum top airing channels.
- Certification- The gear has gone through compulsory tests proving that it complies with the 218 FMVSS guidelines. Therefore, the helmet has earned itself a DOT certification alongside another one from SNELL.
- Tech bonus– In addition to the contemporary styling, this helmet can be synchronized with SmartHJC through Bluetooth!
- Incredibly sturdy structure and lightweight due to carbon-fiber composite
- Prioritizes safety
- Uniquely efficient paddings
- The ventilation system can be quite ineffective
- Limited-space shell frame
10. Bell Qualifier DLX Full face Motorcycle Helmet
First time with racing? Tight on the budget but seek great quality? Well, if your answer is yes to either of the questions, we have got something for you! This Bell Qualifier DLX Helmet is a bargain that you probably never want to miss, with superior performance at a surprisingly reasonable price.
Do not be too surprised if you spot this model quite frequently at races across Europe and the US. The most popular motorcycle helmet gains its title not only due to its affordability but also mainly because Bell Qualifier line never disappoints anyone. You sure can trust Bell helmet when it comes to quality and reputation, and even more now that you have seen this wonderful creation of a motorcycle helmet. Shall we find out why?
- Shield– We cannot praise enough the Bell face shield. Bell clearly has picked up its game with the Transitions Adaptive Click Release technology used on the face shield of every member of the Qualifier DLX helmet series. Basically, the shield reacts to UV lights by darkening itself in the protection of your eyes. However, it usually stays dark most of the time, meaning no changes to color even under different sunlight conditions. That is the “Adaptive” part, so where does the “Click Release” appear? Well, the latest technology provides several shield settings for a single convenient button. No, we are not done yet. Bell gives the final touch with an anti-fog coating, and that is the cherry on top!
- Tech bonus– This great bonus may be most appealing to the younger generation or simply any tech junky. And, that is Bluetooth connectivity. The helmet comes with a built-in port, on the left-hand side of it, where it is adaptable to a communication system. Either the Cardo Qz intercom, the Cardo Q1/Q3 Bluetooth stereo, or the original Sena SMH10 is fully insertable into the port before starting its work.
- Design– The model offers only 3 different shell sizes for different head widths, so we hope you find the perfect match.
- Ventilation- You will never find it suffocated inside one of these Qualifier DLX helmets. Why? Because the ventilation system is top-notch just like the quality of its brand. That is the superior Velocity Flow Ventilation System that controls the internal airing circulation.
- Composite– The shell is made of polycarbonate, which is the secret behind the helmet’s lightness that increases the users’ comfortable experience.
- Interior – The EPS foam liners help bring in relaxation during the long journey. The interior is made of antibacterial and antimicrobial microfiber. In simpler words, they are comfy, fully removable and washable.
- Certification– This gear earns both a DOT and an ECE certification, meaning there is no doubt on the quality and protection.
- Best budget motorcycle helmet for racing
- Premium ventilation system
- Bell’s famous face shield
- Accommodates several intercom systems
- Quite noisy due to the wind coming through airing vents and the intercom port without the device
- The sizing has some flaws
11. O’Neal Unisex-Adult Full face Style Sierra II Helmet
Hey adventure tourers, have you found a budget helmet for your hobby? Or are you looking for an addition to your multi-purpose helmet collection? What about an O’Neal Sierra II? This is undoubtedly one of the best full face helmets out there. If you are interested, read on.
- Design – The Sierra II has a design that is out of this world. With a strong structure, defined edges and eye-catching illustrations, the gear can be mistaken as a cut-out from a sci-fi movie. If you have a favorite character, we bet you can imagine him or her rocking this cool motorcycle helmet.
- Visor- There is a flip-up sun visor installed for this helmet, which is also a pretty attractive point that completes the look. If you think there is not enough sun protection and prefer a face shield over extra goggles, there is actually an internal visor. As soon as you locate a nob on the left-hand side of the helmet, you can release this additional shield. Once you do not need it anymore, put it away with a simple flip.
- Interior- The liners are designed to resurface moisture so that they dry very quickly, causing no discomfort. They are fully removable and washable, so you can do the cleaning as frequently as you wish. One downside, though, is the mesh on the padding. It definitely creates a love-hate situation for many users and is probably a big no to people with skin allergies.
- Ventilation– Air is circulated well with the integrated vent holes. They help enhance the ventilation system by regulating air effectively.
- Composite– ABS plastic is the base material for the shell, which is quite common. Yet, it contributes to the lightness of the whole structure, estimated at around 3.5 lbs.
- Certification– The helmet, like any other qualified helmet, complies with DOT regulations. It also meets the ECE 22.5 standards of safety.
- Undoubtedly, the best looking motorcycle helmet
- Has great performance at a reasonable price
- An adventure tour helmet to look up to
- Parts for replacements are available
- Inner visor can be flipped
- Inner liners include mesh
12. Bell Pit Boss Open-Face Motorcycle Helmet
We have to admit this is likely one of the best open face helmets you will ever find. Cruiser helmets usually do not have a lot going on with their features like their counterparts because they are designed for lower speed, laidback rides. However, Pit Boss from Bell will make you look like a boss while wearing it. Anyway, you can never go wrong with a company built upon 40 years of experience and reputation. Therefore, do we have your attention? Yes? Then, let us get down to the practical details.
- Certification- Safety first, so we need to mention that this helmet is DOT certified. It meets all the guidelines of the FMVSS 218.
- Design- It is difficult to find a cruiser that does not go for the look. In fact, we cannot blame them, as we all look for that as a way to express ourselves. Then this Pit Boss is not here to disappoint us. It is shaped in a pretty way while conveying a rather classic vibe. Moreover, Bell provides you with an aesthetically cool set of decals that you can freely play around with and create your own design.
- Fit- Cruising is all about enjoying the ride and there is no enjoyment without comfort, especially on grand rides. Bell understands that. That is why the company incorporated a fitting tool called “Speed Dial”, and users cannot get enough of the innovation. Basically, it is a small back nob that helps adjust the helmet to a perfect fit on your head. Therefore, the helmet stay secure instead of moving around, which is a problem people often have with half helmets. One tip from our users to have a good snug into your helmet is getting the helmet one size smaller.
- Visor- It is great if you would like to add separate glasses or goggles. But if you prefer a visor, Pit Boss has one. It is an attached flip-down sun visor, so it is very convenient and effective.
- Warranty– Bell Pit Boss helmet comes with a five-year warranty.
- Premium carbon-based shell
- Innovative fitting tool
- Removable neck curtain and flip-down sun visor
- Can be a bit pricy for some
- If you wear goggles, you will not be able to use the visor
13. Shoei Solid Neotec II Modular Motorcycle Helmet
OUT OF STOCK
There are only a few eligible to be called the best modular motorcycle helmet. It goes without saying that there is a reason or reasons that we must add. Herer we have the Shoei Solid Neotec II that will give you the answers. It seems like Shoei has gone all out with this incredible creation of a motorcycle helmet.
In 2011, Shoei impressed the world with the first breed of the Neotec line. As Neotec I successor, the Neotec II set an upper standard and opens a whole new era for modular helmets designers. Everything from this helmet is likely way ahead of its time. From the futuristic design, unmatched comfort, to exceptional features and performance, there is no question why it is currently highly priced. Let us look at the following details:
- Comfort– To increase a comfortable experience and create a relaxing gasp around your head, the padding is made of double-layered EPS foam. It is also known for responding well to impacts. By that I mean, EPS liners enhance comfort, safety and ventilation. Built upon the framework of its predecessor, the Neotec is better and more lightweight. As a modular helmet weighing 4.2lbs, it is even lighter than some full face counterparts on the market. That means less pressure on your head and more enjoyment from your long, adventurous rides.
- Vision– Neotec I started the marathon and passed the torch well to Neotec II. There is no doubt of the quality Neotec II can bring to the league. It features a premium vision-protective visor. The finishing touch gives the visor an anti-UV layer for extra protection. Moreover, Neotec II comes along with an additional pin-lock shield, which is removable and fog-preventing, fresh from the box.
- Aerodynamics & Noise– Shoei has surpassed certain boundaries with this helmet. With closely monitored wind-tunnel testing, it has succeeded in producing an unbelievably marvelous aerodynamic shell. Comfortable rides with a steady helmet even in acceleration are more achievable now than ever. Talking about breaking boundaries, Neotec II has amazing noise dampening properties. Therefore, it will stay as silent as a sleeping kitten under all conditions.
- Design– Great emphasis is put on the strong and sturdy structure with defined edges and exceptional design. It looks great and feels great around your head. Moreover, it offers four shell sizes to cater to diverse consumers. There are also five liners you can choose for the best fit. Wait, there is more – The product comes in many options, namely, 8 colors and 3 graphic designs!
- Certification– With great comfort, quality and especially safety, the Neotec II earned itself a DOT certification.
- Tech bonus- To top this stacked deck of cards with one last prominent card, the company installed a communication system directly into the helmet. With this Sena SRL Motorcycle Bluetooth Communication System and the quietness the helmet already offered, your experience will be taken to a new height of fineness. However, that is the only communication system that the helmet can accommodate primarily. Therefore, if you wish to use a different one, there needs a bit of work for the replacement.
- Top-notch comfort
- Anti-fogging and anti-UV visors
- Exclusive Bluetooth communication system- Sena SRL
- More than just a good quality helmet, it has everything Shoei is capable of offering
14. ScorpionExo Covert Unisex-Adult Half-Size-Style
Do you ever want to own some cool gears that your favorite fictional space ranger has? Maybe a shape-shifting helmet to match the swag of your motorcycle and your neat fit? Well, we know one, not quite the shape-shifter but it can certainly change its form for different purposes. And, certainly, it is one of the best motorcycle helmets capable of that.
Have you ever heard of the ScorpionExo Covert? Just the name itself sounds exciting already! Wait until you see one of the products the company offers, you might get a glimpse of the future or mistake is for a gear left by a time traveller. The form-changing function is called the multi-form function. Find out more below:
- Design- We must say this has such an intense and powerful look, not to mention the designs and colors are not made for the faint-hearted. Especially the white version feels like the standard uniform of a Stormtrooper (if you are a Star Wars fan). Even the Scorpion decal elevates the whole fictional vibe.
- Multi-form function– Accompanying the helmet’s rebellious look is the “badass” multi-form function. This is made possible with the Neodymium magnetic front mask and the detachable rear sleeves. All you need to do is separate them, one after another, to change the helmet’s form from a full face to an open face and half-shell respectively.
- Composite– The leading LG Polycarbonate shell is exclusive to Scorpion’s technology. Mastered engineering involves in the creation of this best quality helmet. The result came out as a highly responsive motorcycle helmet to impacts with evolved protection and lightness.
- Ventilation- The ScorpionExo features the amazing aero-tuned ventilation system that boosts effective air circulation and regulates the flow. Thus, it keeps you nice and cool inside the helmet with minimized noise.
- Visor– Introducing the EverClear SpeedView technology, the visor is made with high concentration. This sun visor comes tinted to immediate relax your eyesight under different lighting qualities. EverClear stands for the anti-fog coating layer on this cool, dark smoke visor. Moreover, Scorpion provides an extra clear visor because they care about your night rides.
- Interior– When it comes to comfortable liner, KwikWick II will not disappoint you. This is a kind of fabric that conditions itself under different climates. Basically, it retains heat in cold weather and remains cool and dry in hot humid conditions. And, very conveniently, the liner is removable and fully washable. Furthermore, for this model, Scorpion offers a chin strap with a dual D-ring system.
- Certification & Warranty- Last but definitely not least is the certification. The helmet is indeed DOT certified but only the top part of it. Therefore, it has a very safe half-shell form. Scorpion offers a five-year warranty for this motorcycle helmet.
- Obviously, the coolest, most in-style helmet ever
- Gives you a confidence boost with its design
- The flip-down sun visor is integrated into the muzzles curve
- Well-engineered all-over mechanisms
- Not a very budget option
15. Yema YM-926 Modular Helmet
If you are part of the professional community this Yema YM-926 must sound novel but yet familiar. This is a newcomer though its advanced features and performance are actually on par with that of the senior counterparts. Moreover, if you care about your budget, the YM-926 motorcycle helmet comes bearing great news- it is a bang for the buck. Are you hooked? Read on!
- Visor– Impressive sun visor technology from Yema, which is something they should be proud of. Sturdy visor designed to withstand high impact with minimized damage from scratches. It can be easily released with a switch for cleaning or when not in use. With the double lens system, Yema equips another layer of clear shield in the front. This shield is attached to a single-button flip-up chin curtain to offer open-face use.
- Ventilation– This superior ventilation system is adjustable! The inlets vents and exhaust ports are fully adaptable in order to enhance airflow and neutralize the inner atmosphere. Even with gloves on you can still operate the ventilation system according to your position. This motorcycle helmet is also highly aerodynamic. It is capable of functioning properly in the face of wind and environmental pulls while dampening excessive noise significantly.
- Interior– The inner liner features laser-cut, density EPS padding for optimal comfort. It comes with effortlessly releasable buckles and a strong chin strap. Cheek pads are removable and fully washable. Therefore, you do not have to tolerate dirty parts.
- Design– You would be surprised by the look of this amazing creation being more luxurious than its price point. Yema has done great with the design and minimal styling. Sharp edges bring on an aggressive feel while still maintaining a high-end vibe. The helmet comes in 2 colors and five sizes for a wider users’ demographic. In addition, it is relatively lightweight, only 3.7 lbs.
- Certification– Yema YM-926 motorcycle helmet prides itself on surpassing the FMVSS 218 standards to earn a DOT certification.
- Commendable, superior ventilation system
- Streamlined aerodynamic
- Great value for the offering price
- Not Bluetooth compatible
16. Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS Full face Helmet
With hard edges and dynamic construction, Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS is here to make a statement. The helmet features many profound aspects that bring road riding to another level. It is understandable for a lineup from the Qualifier DLX series to achieve such prestigious performance, safety and comfort. Let us break down this motorcycle helmet to find out why!
- Construction– Sturdy form that is integrated with great features, the construction is famous for its quality, safety and comfort. The most notable point here is the Multi-Directional Impact Protection System (MIPS) represented in the product’s name. The full structure is broken down into 3 parts: a padding layer, another signature low-friction liner, and an elastomer-based adapt system. This technology protects your brain by responding and minimizing spinning forces causes by certain impacts.
- Shield– The helmet is attached with a clear shield fresh out of the box, with an additional shield included. That extra one is the star of the performance. The highly regarded Clickrelease Transition Shield introduces the photochromic adaptability that allows the shield to react accordingly to various lighting conditions. Therefore, it changes the tinting to protect your eyes and face against UV and sunbeams. Moreover, NutraFog II technology coats the shield with and an anti-fogging layer that is also resistant to scratches. The Clickrelease function means the visor can be removed with a click of a button. This multi-function shield serves all needed purposes, so there is no need for an additional visor or glasses.
- Ventilation– Great ventilation system allows you to feel comfortable and cool inside the helmet. It enhances the regulation of air and circulates it effectively thanks to various ventilation vents on the motorcycle helmet.
- Certification– A road helmet complies with 218 guidelines from the FMVSS and DOT certified.
- Comfort– The helmet is one high-end package full of different perks, and comfort is one of them. It seems that the construction is designed solely for a comfortable riding experience. The motorcycle helmet comes with 3 shell variants and 3 liner options for you to choose from. The foam liner and the padded with collar brings great satisfaction. Those interiors are all removable and washable, so you can enjoy clean padding as frequently as possible.
- Composite– The shell is built from premium polycarbonate materials, which result in the lightweight finish of the helmet.
- Great value that does not break the bank
- Amazing look and comfortable fit
- High-quality, multi-function visor
- No longer include a port for a compatible communication system
17. Bell Custom 500 Helmets
Roy Richters, Bell’s legendary founder, created his very first fiberglass motorcycle helmet in 1954. He then named it 500. The current Bell 500 we are looking at is born in the glory of its initial creation with added safety precaution systems and contemporary design. It surfaces as a rather personal piece of gear when you can design the look and customize it with Bell’s rich vintage-focused accessories collection. Let us find out more below.
- Design– If you have a classic motorcycle, adding this helmet would make that a set! With dominant white color and red simple graphic, the gear bears such a vintage vibe to it. The finish gloss layer helps the colors pop and make the helmet shines. As the name indicates, you can freely customize the helmet with your own creativity. Decorate it with decals, stickers or, if you are artistically inclined, you can try painting on it and style away.
- Comfort– Bell utilizes the humble carbon materials for the shell. The overall structure weighs only 2.7 lbs but remains strong and safe. Therefore, there is little pressure on your head and neck. The helmet comes in 5 shell size preferences and 5 liner variants. More options, more fitting, more comfort. This Bell 500 has satisfied quite a lot of heads!
- Interior– It is on the “low-key” side of the market yet this motorcycle helmet has its appeal. Multi-dense EPS material allows soft, comfortable fitting around your head. Moreover, the interior is actually made of real leather (or more specific, micro suede fabric) to embrace unparalleled satisfaction. If you have skin allergies, it is nice to note that the liner is both anti-odor and anti-bacterial. Moreover, it is all removable and fully washable for better hygiene. Bell offers a cushioned chin strap with strap keeper and D-shaped closure. A leather goggle strap is also included.
- Visor– Talking about visor, there is no visor provided. However, you will find 5 snaps on the surface of the helmet to connect with a separate face shield or visor. Bell offers a whole aftermarket with various accessories you can choose from. There are different designs for the original bubble shield, flat shield and visor. Thus, browse around and pick one, or more. Also, if you prefer your helmet the way it is without a shield, no one is stopping you! Have fun customizing it.
- Certification– Of course, safety is very important when it comes to helmets. This little, classy guy literally surpasses the MFVSS 218 guidelines. The motorcycle helmet also earns various certifications, including DOT, ECE and even AS/NZ.
- Warranty – With the Bell 500, the company offers a five-year warranty, which is the current maximum warranty span of the industry.
- The best motorcycle helmet for the money
- Can be customized with a variety of accessories
- Very good quality helmet from Bell with a wonderful fit
- There is none
How To Differentiate Different Motorcycle Helmets Types?
What exactly are these distinguishable motorcycle helmet types? If you are ready to find out, read on and see how we break down the six main kinds of motorcycle helmets. The full lineup includes full face, open face, modular, off-road, dual-sport and, lastly, half-shell helmet. Let’s look at them in more detail:
Full Face Helmet
Thanks to the full coverage design that protects all sides of your head, a full head helmet provides the optimum safeguard against possible impacts. The key aspect that separates full helmets from other types of helmets, as well as offering unparalleled protection, is the chin bar. It proves that, during impactful collisions, around half of serious damage would occur around the chin and jaw areas. A full helmet is the only type that is capable of protecting these two areas, alongside the other parts of your head.
Full face helmet also comes in various styles according to the model of the motorcycle and the place and way you ride it. For sports motorbike riding, the appropriate helmet requires a visor that tilts up more towards the helmet’s top area and a chin bar integrated relatively higher. This specific structure aims to prevent the helmet from rising due to high-speed racing and minimize unwanted accidents. Instead, for motorcycle riders that enjoy touring or exploring, the helmet requirements are different. The correct structure would feature a more direct visor and an understandably lower chin bar.
The protective bubble structure of a full face helmet can be quite suffocating if it hadn’t been for the airing system. Ventilation doors built on the top, front and sides of the helmet manipulate the air circulation, condition the atmosphere within and prevent the visor from fogging up. These channels can be adjusted and closed during wintertime to regulate airflow accordingly. Recently, innovative aspects have been added to cater to different needs. These include different high-clarity colors and designs, tinted and sunblock visors, and even Bluetooth-connected speakers.
Open-Face Helmet (or ¾ Helmet)
Like the name indicated, open face helmet covers everything around your head except for your face. With the structure that allows the fresh breeze to caress your face, this kind of ¾ helmet is favored by many riders from casual cruisers to scooters and cafe racers. That being said, open face helmet offers less safety with the lack of chin protection structure, having the facial area exposed.
This kind of helmet is just a-chin-bar lighter while offering protection for most parts of your head, structurally similar to the full face helmet. Without a chin bar, instead, it comes with an adjustable chin strap to secure the helmet properly. Moreover, through letting you capture the feel and sense of the adventure, the helmet provides your facial area with no prevention of disadvantaged weather conditions, water or other objects. In addition, you may have to get a suitable visor separately unless it is not provided with the ¾ helmet you purchase.
Modular Helmet (or Flip-up Helmet)
This type is a hybrid of full face and open face helmets because of the pivot-based design for the chin bar and visor. Therefore, whenever you need to open the facial area for phone calls or conversations, you can transform this full face-alike helmet into an open face one with just a quick flip up. These helmets come with an eye-protecting visor, and sometimes, an additional UV-protection one.
A modular helmet is slightly heavier and relatively less safe than a full face helmet, which is all caused by the extra joint design for the flip-up function. Of course, a structure built from separated pieces is barely as strong and uniform as that is formed by one full consistent piece. Therefore, modular helmets will respond differently in crashes and collisions. However, it is still considered safer compared to a ½ or ¾ helmet, which you have to consider when purchasing for your specific need.
Because of the special construction, a modular helmet works best for more upright riding or lightly bent over positions at low speeds. Some common additional features include double-visor design, fogging-proof visor or Bluetooth speaker technology. This kind of helmet is famous among cruisers, tourers, and adventure riders.
Off-Road Helmet (for Dirt Bike, MX or Motocross)
If off-road tracks with lots of actions are your kind of adventure, you would be better off with an off-road helmet. Why? Well, it is designed for that kind of environment, with lightweight, optimum airing space, maximized safety and, definitely, no Bluetooth. The different features are a more defined chin bar, no visors and a sun peak, all part of a uniform piece.
With no visors provided, an off-road motorcycle helmet requires the user to have separated goggles to block mud and dirt from entering the eyes. On the bright side, utilizing separated glasses is quite convenient when it comes to cleaning away mud and stains. Keep in mind that your goggles need to fit your helmet for your comfort and safety. The sun peak enables a great sunbeam to block away from your eyes as well as minimizing contact with dirt and mud blown up from the ground.
Low insulation of the off-road helmet lets you experience first-hand the environment around you, from the wind gritting to the noises of every movement on the dirt roads. This may sound unpleasant to some, yet it allows optimal control over your vehicle by transmitting the sounds from the tires in contact, whether it is on track, skidding or sliding off the path. There are plenty of material options you can choose from, including carbon fiber, Kevlar, and fiberglass. However, daredevils and off-road racers would opt for lightweight components.
Here is another hybrid helmet of a full face helmet and off-road helmet. It features a comfortable inner cushion and developed ventilation just like a full face helmet while having the construction of an off-road helmet – low chin structure and wider visor area. Therefore, a dual-sport helmet is designed for both off-road and moderate-speed on-road riding.
However, unlike off-road helmets with flip-up chin bars, dual-sport helmets’ chin structure is integrated into the helmet as one piece, which offers greater consistency and better protection for the lower facial area. Furthermore, this type of helmet features a larger visor than that of a full face helmet. This visor can be flipped up for the use of separate glasses or goggles in off-road environments. There is also a sun peak, which is not affected by the aerodynamic shift, to block the beam of the sun. A dual-sport helmet also feels warmer and more comfortable on your head with minimized environmental noises.
Finally, the stylish half-shell helmet offers the bare minimum of head protection, covering from the forehead, over the top head area, to the rears and the upper back of your head. Some may provide an extra covering for your ears and the back of your neck. In all cases, your face is still the solely exposed area. Safety-wise, this kind of helmet is clearly not designed for extreme sports nor racing.
Despite offering the least protection out of all types of motorcycle helmets, a half-shell helmet has its own perks. It gives you the most real environmental exposure. By that I mean, you will personally feel the wind on your face, enjoy the view with your own eyes, smell nature, and hear the buzzy sounds from all around. Of course, the experience is for those who appreciate it, and by “who” we mean the cruisers and the classic riders. In addition, riders are encouraged to wear extra glasses, bandannas or anything else available to protect the eyes from insects and dirt.
Most Popular Motorcycle Helmet Brands
Below are some of the most popular motorcycle helmet brands so that you cannot go wrong with motorcycle helmets from these big names.
If you are the type of person who appreciates the raw handcraftsmanship, you will be satisfied with Arai. The America-based company was founded by Hirotake Arai with the advanced heat-formed-resin shell technology, so you now know where the brand’s name came from. The founder started as a hat maker with a love for motorcycles; when you combine those two things, you get the today’s famous brand that manufactures excellent handmade helmets from start to finish. The company is inherited within the family, as they stand by the production of highly guarding premium motorcycle helmets.
Ever since 1947, the Italian brand, AGV, has been creating nothing but top-notch, innovatively manufactured products that include leading motorcycle helmets. Their reputable products have gained their position in the motorcycle racing scene with incomparable comfort, creative designs and optimum safety. With an AGV’s high-end motorcycle helmet, you have got everything you need!
Shoei gains its recognition for creating one of the finest motorcycle helmets that exist worldwide. Since the very first helmet made manually in 1959, Shoei has been introducing only world-class handcrafted Japan-based products for the past 50 years. The brand stands out by well-developed materials, unparalleled technology and testing procedures, and an open mind on customer feedback. Moreover, the acquisition of Shoei by Honda, in 1965, has contributed greatly to the expansion and advance of the company’s quality and role in the industry.
You might have heard of the name or at least seen one of these HJC products before because of its scope across the world, including manufacture plants and companies. The business was founded in France in 1971 with a promise to deliver quality and unmatched safety through its leading products. HJC, among other reputably on-par businesses in the industry, also frequently offers sponsorship for significant motorsport races.
Understanding the rising desire to define human’s perception of speed, the California-based business is the primary trend leader in both helmets and acceleration. It believes in the possibilities of the next boundaries to be surpassed by the up-and-coming racing generations. With an emphasis on performance and sustainability, Bell motorcycle helmets are destined to check the boxes for designated requirements.
This newcomer boldly broke into the scene in 2002, owned and developed by riders from Oregon, USA. Therefore, they recognize the exceptional needs and mindsets and experience the unavoidable occurrences of their own people in the contemporary modern world. That is the inspiration behind the construction and quality of their products and services.
Always go for a lightweight helmet. The heavier a helmet it is the more it will fatigue your shoulders and neck when you are leaning over in your riding position Select the helmet that fits your requirements and specifications. You may be interested in the Bluetooth motorcycle helmet in 2021.
Riding motorcycle is an exhilarating experience for everyone, especially in hot weather. It is the time you can enjoy the fresh air. Moreover, for those who seek speed, it is undoubtedly a great pursuit. However, when you are on a ride, you are also exposed to many risks, the most serious one is road accidents. Therefore, buying the right helmet that can help you well protected on your ride is the crucial element. We know that there are many products out there with different qualities and features, which can make you overwhelmed. After reading this article, we hope that you now know some special things you should take into account when it comes to finding the right motorcycle helmet. Apart from the details listed in this article, you should also check out more so that you can know what kind of helmet that can meet your needs. Although price is a major factor, we recommend you should always give priority to safety. Therefore, look for the products that can provide you with the optimal security and safety. Good luck with your choice!