5 Best Down Jackets For Men – Down Jacket for Men Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 1 5 Best Down Jackets For Men – Down Jacket for Men Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 5 Best Down Jackets for Men for 2021
- 2.1 1. Arc’Teryx Men’s Cerium LT Hooded Jacket – Best Down Jackets for men
- 2.2 2. Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket – Best Down Jackets for Men
- 2.3 3. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket
- 2.4 4. Outdoor Research Men’s Incandescent Hoodie Jacket – Best Down Jackets for Men
- 2.5 5. Sierra Designs Men’s Elite DriDown Parka, Poseidon – Best Down Jackets For Men
- 3 Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Down Jackets For Men?
Are you looking for the Best Down Jackets for Men in 2021? If yes, you have come to the right place which you can discover the full reviews, tips, and guides.
Planning a backpacking trip but freezing cold outside? Thinking about buying a down jacket?
Best Down jackets for men are insulated with duck or geese feathers that are excessively warm. In simple words, these jackets contain a layer of down and feathers to help keep you warm. These types of jackets retain heat to keep the wearer warm. Down jackets are lighter, tougher, and more water-resistant compared to any other kind of jackets.
The down fill of a jacket will be either goose down, duck down, or a combination of the two. Duck down jackets are comparatively cheaper than the goose down jackets; but as far as warmness is concerned nobody can beat the goose down jackets.
To ease it out for you further we have mentioned below 5 Best Down Jackets for Men that would ease your cold chilly trip nights. Take a look:
5 Best Down Jackets for Men for 2021
1. Arc’Teryx Men’s Cerium LT Hooded Jacket – Best Down Jackets for men
- Down Composite Mapping strategically places synthetic Coreloft? insulation in areas prone to moisture and 850 fill down in the core and sleeves for optimal warmth
- Lightweight yet durable face fabric with DWR finish repels moisture and repels against light precipitation
Arc’teryx is a Canadian outdoor clothing and sporting goods company. The name and logo of Arc’teryx refer to the Archaeopteryx, among the earliest known birds.
Arc’teryx Cerium LT Hoody is a lightweight water-resistant down jacket. Made with ultra-premium materials, this jacket is an eye-catcher. The best part about this jacket is that it remains warm even when wet.
This is because Arc’teryx has used its Coreloft synthetic insulation in all areas where there is the possibility of moisture buildup. Now the problem with down is that it is not warm when wet.
To combat this problem, Arc’ Teryx came with the concept of Down Composite Mapping. This technique places synthetic insulation in high moisture areas such as the shoulders, underarms, and cuffs.
In all these high-moisture areas the Cerium LT uses a synthetic 80g/m2 Coreloft fill. This jacket offers the best warmth-to-weight ratio.
With a total weight of 10.22 ounces, it is one of the most lightweight down jackets available. While the jacket isn’t an ultralight down jacket, but it is decently lightweight enough to carry around.
It is filled with a high-lofting 850+ European white goose down. Cerium LT face fabric is an ultra-light Aeretic Nylon 20x10D fabric that has been treated with a DWR finish.
The fabric is strong and extremely soft to touch. This jacket comes in both hooded and non-hooded. Some other features include two zippered hand-warmers, elasticized cuffs at wrist and an adjustable hem
This one is an amazing piece that is truly exceptional. It is a bit expensive, but undoubtedly it is the best lightweight down jacket.
2. Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket – Best Down Jackets for Men
- Weight: 605g/21.3oz
- Pertex Quantum Pro outer fabric
Rab is a United Kingdom mountaineering clothing and camping equipment manufacturer and supplier. Rab Neutrino Endurance Jacket is a good looking puffy jacket that is built to withstand severe winter weather conditions.
It offers an athletic fit. This jacket is filled with high quality 800 fill-power European Goose Down to keep you warm in all the situations.
The outer shell is made of Pertex Endurance fabric that provides more durability. The added PU coating of the Pertex shell protects the jacket from any kind of wear and tear.
Featuring a stitch-through baffle construction, this jacket is a must for cold-weather climates. However, the baffled construction will leave you looking quite puffy.
The jacket weighs around 22 ounces (size Large) and is available in seven solid colors such as flashy Electric Blue, Pear (tested), as well as darker colors such as Beluga and Twilight.
It features a three-way adjustable hood adjoined with elastic/Velcro cuff closures. The hood is helmet-compatible and features a wide brim to keep snow or rain out of your face.
The jacket comes with one large zippered internal pocket wherein you can store all the essentials that you’d like to dry out. Two outer hand pockets have water-resistant zippers and come with a fleece lining on the back.
Overall, this jacket is extremely comfortable and is a great option for winter athletes. Every penny spent on this one is worth it.
3. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket
- WARM, COMFORT, LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABILITY: With 800-fill down and a weight of only 8 oz, the Ghost Whisperer is the lightest in its class. Zips into its own pocket for compact storage
- WINDPROOF AND WATER REPELLENT: The Ghost Whisperer fabric's super-tight weave is naturally downproof, windproof and water repellent. Down fibers are infused with a permanent water repellency that helps maintain insulating performance even when exposed to moisture. Ripstop nylon.
Founded in 1993, Mountain Hardwear is a California -based company that manufactures high-tech outdoor clothing, backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and gloves.
If you are looking for a lightweight, warm puffy jacket which packs down small then Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Hooded Jacket is the perfect one for you.
This jacket features a minimalist design and is one of the best ultralight down jackets that you’ll come across. It only weighs about 7.2 oz. As it is extremely lightweight, it serves as an incredible option for layering.
It features an excellent 800-Fill Q.Shield Down insulation that does a great job of keeping the server warm. This water-resistant down coating resists heat-robbing moisture and retains maximum loft even when wet.
The shell features an incredibly light Whisperer 7D x 10D Ripstop fabric that has been designed by Mountain Hardwear specifically for this jacket. the material is durable and lends that shiny touch to the jacket. If you are the one who dislikes sheen, this jacket is not for you.
The exterior of this jacket is DWR treated to repel light rain. There are two basic zippered pockets on the exterior of the jacket, one of which has an extra loop sewn into it so it can be clipped to a carabiner. Going by the jacket, the zippers are ultralight, too.
The best part about this jacket is that it stuffs into itself, i.e. It packs into its own pocket which then zips, for compact storage. It comes with both the Hood and a regular (no hood) Jacket option.
It features an elastic hood and elastic waist that are not fully adjustable lined with “Butter Jersey”, which feels soft against your skin and seal off the cold and moisture.
The single interior toggle hem offers an easy adjustment on the fly. The only con about this jacket is its size; which seems to run a little small. So if you consider layering, size up one size.
This jacket is exactly what you want for cold days and chilly nights. Uber light and excessively warm, these jackets are worth the consideration.
4. Outdoor Research Men’s Incandescent Hoodie Jacket – Best Down Jackets for Men
Outdoor Research is a Seattle-based manufacturer of technical apparel and gear for outdoor sports and adventure.
The Incandescent hoodie is an ultra-warm down jacket for all-season backpacking. This versatile jacket is also a perfect late-fall rock climbing and all the other cold-weather stuff belay parka on very cold days. The jacket weighs around 16.5 ounces.
It is filled with 800+ fill high-quality goose down. The goose down is extremely compressible and offers exceptional warmth for its weight.
The DWR treated 10D Pertex shell keeps you dry in light precipitation. The water-repellent finish is durable enough to keep any water or snow out of the jacket.
The jacket compresses compactly as it stuffs into its own pocket, conveniently equipped with a tiny ‘biner, for easy packing and stowing.
The Incandescent Hooded Jacket has two hand-zip pockets and one outer chest-zip pocket. The Down-filled hood and internal draft flap seals in warmth.
Other features include stretch binding cuffs with tricot lining and a drawcord hem. The 2-way front zipper allows fit and venting adjustments.
Overall, this down jacket is good enough to secure you in a warm cocoon. This super-warm insulated parka is perfect for ice climbing and skis touring.
5. Sierra Designs Men’s Elite DriDown Parka, Poseidon – Best Down Jackets For Men
- 800 Fill Power DriDown that resists moisture for versatile, lightweight warmth
- Two zippered hand warmer pockets, inside kangaroo pocket, and insulated yoke zipper pocket provide room to stash anything you may need.
Formed in 1965, Sierra Designs has been creating high-performance camping, high alpine and backcountry gear from ultralight tents & sleeping bags to down jackets.
Sierra Designs Men’s Elite DriDown Parka is the warmest down jacket and is designed like our Mobile Mummy sleeping bags. It features treated 850-fill duck down insulation that offers maximum warmth.
Dropdown creates a hydrophobic finish that allows the jacket to dry faster than untreated down. At 19 ounces, it’s quite light for its performance level.
This parka has a box baffled construction, which eliminates cold air from penetrating inside the jacket. The jacket is in a form-fitting shape that eliminates the need for any cinches and zippers as adjustments.
The longer length provides protection from the harsh weather conditions. This jacket has a regular cut that fits well over heavy layering.
The outer shell fabric of the parka is a 10 denier nylon/polyester ripstop that’s been coated with polyurethane on the inside to keep rain and snow outside the jacket.
The shell is coated with a thin PU coating that provides water and wind protection and increases the warmth of the jacket. It features a hat compatible hood that rolls in on itself.
The fully zipped hood provides excellent wind protection and folds into a high protective collar. The wrist cuffs gently snug around the wrists.
A down-filled draft tube built into the neck of the jacket seals in the warmth. There are two external hand pockets along with two large interior pockets, that are large enough to carry all your stuff.
One of the pockets can be stuffed into the other inner pocket which functions as a self-stuff sack for compressibility. The jacket also reverses into the large interior pocket to become a substantial camp pillow.
Overall, this puffy down jacket is impressively comfortable and extremely warm.
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Down Jackets For Men?
Picking the best down jackets for men are not as easy as it may seem. You need to understand your needs well in advance. Let’s take a look at some of the important factors that must be considered before initiating a purchase:
- Down fill powers– These are numerical ratings that measure the fluffiness of the down. Fill power ranges from 400 to 900. It is measured in cubic inches per ounce. The higher fill power indicates the better the quality of down. Higher-quality down comes from mature birds. A jacket with high fill power will be lightweight, providing more warmth and will pack down to a smaller size. However, these jackets come with a heftier price tag.
- Down or Synthetic– While buying a down jacket the biggest question that confuses maximum people is: Down or Synthetic Insulation? If you consider buying a lightweight jacket, go for down in comparison to a synthetic version. Down insulation offers excellent heat retention but loses insulating ability when wet; thus synthetic retains insulating properties when damp/wet. Down ones are easier to compress and pack small and require special cleaning.
- Construction Type– There are two types of down jackets, Sewn Through or Box Baffle. Baffle constructed jackets are complex to make but are warmer than sewn-through versions. These jackets provide more loft and are often more expensive. Women’s down jackets have different construction than men’s jackets. So be sure you buy a woman down jacket if the wearer is a female.
- Material– The importance of the outer shell and lining of the jacket cannot be overlooked. Both of them have a noticeable effect on the functioning of the jacket. Nylon and polyester are the two commonly used materials to form the outer layer of a down jacket. Both are equally good to withstand any harsh conditions. For more safety, go for a down jacket that has an extra layer laminated onto the fabric. This layer works as water-resistant and provides the wearer with the required warmth.
- Other Features– Look for other accessories like hoods, zips, pockets, adjustable hems, and so on. Pay for these features only if you require them. Like go for the hooded jacket only if you don’t intend to wear a helmet, adjustable hems can provide more control to the wearer and look for the type of pockets that you require.