5 Best Banjo For Beginners Reviews, Tips & Guides
Are you looking for the Best Banjo For Beginners for yourself? Look no further! You may check out our list for more details.
As a big fan of Banjo music, it is hard to believe if your favorite iTunes list does not include playlists of Earl Scruggs, Wade Ward, Bill Keith, or Don Reno. Enjoying the sound of the banjo is wonderful, but it is greater to have your fingers played one, right? At that time, a bit of research is really necessary before you choose one.
As one of the key instrumental voices in American country, dixieland jazz, bluegrass, and folk music, the banjo is actually not easy to play. For sure, mastering it can give you satisfaction and happiness. So, have you made the decision to purchase a banjo? Great! But, feel unconfident since you are a newbie? This guide can little help you feel right with your choice.
When looking for your perfect banjo, there are some 3 important things to consider: Brand, Budget, and Strings. Below, let us help you get informed about best banjo for beginners. Please keep reading and sharpen your knowledge about this instrument now!
Top 5 best Banjo on the market
1. Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo
For us, Deering Goodtime 2 takes up the first position of the list, due to its pricy cost and awesome performance. While it takes a bit more cash than other equivalent banjos from other brands, it is indeed a valuable investment, including improved materials, tone quality, and even the reliability. So, you yourself will be freely immersed into the world of banjo with the highest satisfaction.
Simply enjoy the crisp and sharp sound while playing from this 22-fret maple neck banjo! The intonation is precise over the fingerboard, thanks to the correct frets. Players find it comfortable to hold the instrument with its slim neck design. For those who love staying with one instrument in their lifetime, then this banjo is for them. A generous 6-year warranty is also included for all new buyers.
Both seasoned and newbie players wish to possess Deering Goodtime 2 for their passions. So, in order to save yourself the regret, it is time to invest the one without any hesitation now!
- Slender rock maple neck
- 3-ply maple rim
- Sealed geared tuners
- Adjustable tailpiece
- 198W powerful motor
- Reliable with American construction
- Right-hand and left-hand models
- Sharp sound from the single bound maple resonator
- Too expensive for new players
2. Jameson Guitars 5-String Banjo
- 5 String Full Size Banjo with Geared 5th Tuner
- Amazing Low Price on Best Selling Banjo
Looking for an affordably budgeted banjo, but still want to enjoy excellent performance? Then, you will not go wrong with Jameson Guitars 5-string banjo that is outstandingly highlighted with a solid closed mahogany back with a nut width of 1.25’’ as well as a slender maple bridge. With a reasonable price, it even becomes a better deal.
What makes our heart stolen at the first time seeing the Jameson is that it totally comes out of the box. That means you just tune the strings a little and they are ready to go without installing the bridge or even fixing the strings. The best part of this five-string banjo is that a more versatile sound can be made, thanks to its removable resonator. Interestingly, the presence of a geared 5th tuner also offers the players the more accurate tuning.
The glossy finish makes this instrument more impressive. It is easy and convenient to use, with the right-hand and left-hand models.
- Geared 5th tuner
- Amazingly low price but produces a rich and clear sound
- Clear instructions
- Closed mahogany back, 24 bracket, nut width – 1.25 inches
- Elegant and mahogany design
- Right-hand and left-hand models
- A little heavy for younger players.
3. Vangoa 5 String Banjo
- 1. REMO DRUM HEAD It uses high-quality Remo drum head as Banjo panel that can produce a sweet tone. You can also gently beat the head to fusion different timbres in your melodies.
- 2. ADJUSTABLE STRING HEIGHT It equips a truss rod that can adjust the string height, so that you will feel comfortable and perform fluently.
The list of the best banjo for beginners will be incomplete without mentioning this Vangoa 5 String banjo. Don’t be too overwhelmed as you get a lot of accessories such as a gig bag, pick up, tuner, strings and the instrument. Therefore, you will find yourself saving a bit of cash as there is no need to buy all the extra gear separately. In general, it is the players’ favorite purchasing list, thanks to added pick-up, which gives it a touch more value. How about its quality or tone?
Made from mahogany, it is not only a great material choice that ensures its durability, but also a very comfortable instrument to hold and play. We are left with big impression about the instrument’s high-quality Remo drumhead, which can create a lot of different timbres in your melody. So cool, right? Furthermore, it is also possible to detach the back of the banjo so that it may sound like a resonator or an open back.
There is one little thing to remember. That is a beginner’s player guide can be found in the internet as the box lacks of it. But, there is no reason not to tolerate this very small problem, right?
- Remo drum head
- Adjustable string height
- Durable material
- Smooth decent touch
- Economical kit
- The affordable price, in terms of the equipment and quality tonewood.
- Good construction
- Not so bright, due to the mahogany tonewood.
4. Pyle 5-String Geared Tunable Banjo
- PREMIUM QUALITY - The rich wood and high-gloss finish are accented with white jade machine head tuner key pegs and chrome-plated hardware. Crafted with mahogany neck, back, and side, plus a rosewood fingerboard and Maple Wood bridge
- FABULOUS TONE - Brings you all the classic tones of a traditional 5 string banjo. Perfect for country, folk, bluegrass, and even some modern rock. It's designed to sound as good as it looks
Sharing the same price as the Vangoa, Pyle 5-String Geared Tunable Banjo is another choice for newbies to consider. Smooth, lightweight, and slim neck are the best words to describe it. The instrument’s attractive advantage is the light weight, makes it convenient to bring everywhere with you, from the road to the campsite.
When it comes to comfort, the quality in texture of the materials does not make you disappointed at all. In comparison with the friction tuner in most of the banjos, this tuner is highly accurate, ensuring all five of the strings to be tuned for a long time.
Those who love the classy beauty will find themselves interested in the design of the instrument, honoring the musical tradition. The bridge is maple, while the fingerboard is rosewood. Regardless of the modest price, its component is precisely constructed, which creates the aesthetic of the banjo.
- The rich wood and high-gloss finish
- The mahogany neck, back, and side; a rosewood fingerboard; as well as Maple Wood bridge
- The geared 5th tuner
- Classic traditional style
- Reasonable and elegant
- Adjustable truss rod
- 1-year warranty
- Loose 5th peg.
5. Resoluute 5 String Resonator Banjo
- 5 STRING Full Size Banjo with Geared 5th Tuner
- RESONATOR mahogany closed back for bluegrass or clawhammer style banjo
Beginners want to start with something simple. If it is your case, then Resoluute 5 String Resonator Banjo is the right model. Our first amaze that it is fully assembled, including a booklet with chord charts inside.
Although coming with the affordable cost, this Resoluute banjo still produces a strong, sharp and crisp sound, which leaves a strong impression on listeners. The plus side is its removable resonator, allowing you to experiment with different musical genres.
While the banjo has 24 brackets, the fingerboard is maple. Want to achieve the most stunning pitch? Using the geared 5th tuner is always a good idea. Like other models listed above, the Remo drumhead exists to improve the acoustics as well as creating a loud, sharp sound.
- The geared 5th Tuner
- Resonator with mahogany closed back
- 24 brackets, professional Remo drumhead and Maple fingerboard
- Removable resonator
- Fully assembled and securely packaged
- Affordable price
- Easy to use with a clear banjo book
- Loud, crisp sound
- Low-quality strings.
- Loose screws
When it comes to a good sound, stable tuning, accessories, slim necked shape, and a light-weight, Pyle 5-String Geared Tunable Banjo is our best banjo for beginners even if you might want to pay a little money to replace the tuning peg. However, other recommendations should also be taken into consideration if you want to get more useful experiences.
Finding the right instrument is just the first step. However, becoming a banjo professional may take much time. But, we cannot deny the importance of the right banjo. If you get started with an easy-to-use model that creates a clear sound, then it is much easier to keep pursuing your new passion. We believe that!