5 Best Backpacking Stoves Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 1 5 Best Backpacking Stoves Reviews, Tips & Guides
- 2 5 Best Backpacking Stoves of 2021
- 2.1 Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System – Best Backpacking Stoves
- 2.2 MSR Pocket Rocket 2 – Best Backpacking Stoves
- 2.3 Snow Peak GigaPower 2.0 Stove – Best Backpacking Stoves
- 2.4 MSR WhisperLite Universal Backpacking Stove – Best backpacking Sroves
- 2.5 Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves
Hot tea or coffee in the morning and a cooked meal at night is completely a bliss on backpacking trips. A best backpacking stove is no less than an investment. With time, the backing stove industry has evolved a lot.
With new techniques, modified features, and ease-of-use, these stoves have become an essential travel gear. From super-basic to super-high-tech, backpacking stoves have it all.
However, before purchasing a stove, you need to understand that what kind of stove will serve your purpose. Do you want a stove that simply boils quickly or do you want one that simmers?
Let’s understand in detail about various backpacking stoves available in the market:
- Canister Stoves– Light, compact and easy to use these are the most popular backpacking stoves available in the market. They do not require any kind of preheating, priming or pumping. All you have to do is just screw in your stove and light it up for a quick and tasty meal. In simple words, they do not demand maintenance of any kind. The only problem with canister stoves is. Given the convenience they carry, these stoves are the best choice for 3-season adventures. These days integrated canister stoves are popular. These fantastic stoves combine a burner with a heat exchanger pot. These type of stoves are extremely fuel efficient an offer better temperature control.
- Liquid Fuel Stoves– These stoves require a bit of experience to operate. It consists of varied parts that need to be primed before use. Unlike canister stoves, they require proper maintenance to function properly. The best part is that they are extremely versatile and are able to cook multiple types of food. They connect to refillable fuel bottles. They work with any kind of fuel; from white gas to diesel fuel to kerosene to canister fuel. However, they are a bit heavy to carry along. They are only suitable for international traveling or in case you’re traveling in groups.
- Alternative-fuel stoves– These are a new trend and includes stoves that run on denatured alcohol or wood/solid fuel. These are primarily for boiling water only.
Apart from types, consider the burn time, average boil time, weight and convenience features before you make a choice. With so many backpacking stoves to choose from, picking the right one becomes very difficult.
5 Best Backpacking Stoves of 2021
To ease it out for you, we have created a list of 5 best backpacking stoves of 2021 by some of the best-renowned brands in the field of backpacking stove industry. Have a look through these popular stoves available:
Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System – Best Backpacking Stoves
- Powered by FluxRing technology, the MiniMo camping and backpacking stove cooking system, in Adventure, reaches a rolling boil in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems.
- Jetboil's proprietary regulator technology offers incremental heat adjustments from light simmer to full boil, perfect for sautéing greens, simmering sauces, and more.
Jetboil is known for its integrated stove systems. MiniMo is one of one of their most popular stove system that is equipped with revolutionary new valve technology.
This canister-based camping stove system is able to cook more complexed and better-tasting meals. The pot and canister fuel stand have been integrated with the lid, for the added stability and safety.
The best part about this stove is that you do not have to assemble different components from separate manufacturers; as it comes loaded with all the cooking components.
It features a proprietary regulator technology that ensures consistent performance down to 20°F. With Isobutane-propane fuel, it has an unmatched simmer control.
With one litre (32oz) capacity, this personal cooking system weighs about 14.6 oz (413 g), which makes it easily packable. It features a simmering capability that allows you to do much more than just boiling water.
You can cook more complex meals with ease. It includes an insulating drink-through lid. The pot lid functions relatively well and doubles as a strainer. The lid fits on securely and has pour spouts that function well with no spillage.
The best part about this stove is that you do not need a lighter or matches to get it fired up. All you have to do is sharply push the button ignitor with the fuel nob turned way up.
However, it is recommended that you carry second ignition source because there’s always a risk of these igniters wearing out.It has a wider and shallower pot shape and has very fast boil times.
With different cozy patterns and colors, the overall design is appealing to the eyes. Its wind performance is excellent.
The lower spoon angle makes it easier to stir the food while cooking and it makes it convenient to eat it straight out of the pot. It has rubber-coated metal handles that provide a robust interface for both cooking and eating.
However, metal edges near the handles get extremely hot while cooking, so is careful while handling this.
The protective cover of the base of the cooking system doubles as a measuring cup, eliminating the need to carry extra measuring cups along. The small fuel canister can be easily stored in the cook pot.
Undoubtedly, it is one of the most convenient integrated stove systems on the market. With all the essential cooking components packed in this stove, it is perfect for any backpacker or camper looking out for a cooking system on the go.
MiniMo is an integrated stove system, and these systems are always costly than simple stoves. So, for a quality stove system, you need to pay a higher price. Given the functionality and features, MiniMo is fairly priced.
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 – Best Backpacking Stoves
- Ultralight (2.6 oz) and compact (2x2x3 in) folding canister stove for minimalist adventures, backpacking, hiking, trekking, camping, and global travel
- Boils one liter of water in just 3.5 minutes and flame easily adjusts from a simmer to a rolling boil for gourmet cooking in the outdoors
MSR Pocket Rocket 2 is the new and improved model of the original Pocket Rocket Canister Stove. The improvements are clearly visible and have made this versatile and ultra-compact canister a favorite amongst lightweight backpackers.
This stove is really small with just 3 inches in length.
This fuel canister stove is extremely ultralight with just a weight of 2.6 oz. It even packs up really small, occupying very little space in your travel gear. They work perfectly well with isobutane canisters.
As far as design is concerned, it features dual-hinged folding arms. Unfold the arms and they can be easily locked in place. Both the arms are serrated on a slight angle, that ensures pots of varying diameters remain in place on the stand.
It has a wider pot that comes with a protective plastic case. The wider pot offers better stability. It does not include any fuel canister, but this stove is compatible with most self-sealing canister fuels, so it won’t pose any problem.
The PocketRocket 2 has an amazing boiling water time; it takes 3 minutes per 1 litre of boiling water.
For lighting the stove, you need to carry a separate ignition source, as it does not include any. This stove delivers fast-boiling performance with an average boiling time of 3.5 minutes. It comes with a simple-to-operate design as it needs no preheating or pressurising.
All you have to do is simply turn it on, light and start cooking.
The flame is fully adjustable that lets you look better meals on slow flame. It comes with a hardshell carry case that is made of durable plastic. It fits the stove perfectly. It features a three-year warranty for its stove products, which includes manufacturer defects and workmanship issues.
Genuinely priced, this can be used with several different best of the pots and pans making it extremely convenient. Durable and compact, this is one of the most preferred stoves available in the market.
Snow Peak GigaPower 2.0 Stove – Best Backpacking Stoves
- Snow Peak’s GigaPower Stove Auto is incredibly lightweight and compact. It’s unique for its four foldable arms that provide extra stability when cooking outdoors.
- GigaPower Stove Auto includes a lighter for convenient ignition.
The GigaPower 2.0 is the improved and modified version of the original GigaPower Stove. It helps you to make delicious meals with its ease of operation and amazing simmering capabilities.
GigaPower 2.0 features a more robust construction and is extremely lightweight with a weight of just over 3.2 ounces. It packs compact and stores in the included plastic case. Operating this stove is easier with the built-in Piezo igniter. It eliminates the need for any matches and easily starts the flame once the gas is turned on.
Made from stainless steel and aluminum, it features an average boil time of 4 min. 48 sec per 1 litre of water. The brass threads and fittings allow dependable operation.
This small canister stove works well with Isobutane fuel and features an excellent simmering ability. It can be reduced to a true simmer; so you can cook actual meals rather than just boiling water. It has a rectangular valve that is short and gives finer control for simmering.
The Isobutane fuel is a mixture of propane and butane which makes this stove compatible to operate in cold temperatures. This burner allows operation down to -10C°. With an adjustable flame and four trivets for stability, it offers a wide range of cooking in any environment.
Most backpacking stoves have three pot supports, but it comes with four that allows for better stability. You can also buy the nifty windscreen for the GigaPower stove, that cuts the wind and reflects heat back up to the pot, thereby reducing the boil times.
The pot can be folded easily and it works with almost every size of the cooking pot. The base of this stove is stable enough to allow cooking on varied surfaces.
Snow Peak offers a lifetime warranty for all of its products. This is extremely affordable and one of the most fuel-efficient stoves available. this extremely durable stove is a great value for money. Once bought, it will simply last a lifetime.
MSR WhisperLite Universal Backpacking Stove – Best backpacking Sroves
- Hybrid-Fuel Performance: Patent pending AirControl technology creates the optimal fuel/air mix for top-notch performance with canister fuel, white gas, kerosene and unleaded gasoline
- Lightweight: Aluminum mixer tube, extra-stable stainless steel legs and refined design keep weight to a minimum.
For over 40 years, the MSR brand has stood for cutting-edge backcountry-gear engineering. From stoves, tents, to cookware and water filters, they have revolutionised the outdoor industry.
MSR liquid fuel stoves feature multi-fuel capabilities and are great for extended backcountry trips. Their stoves are known for durability and longevity of use.
The AirControl technology is what really makes this stove unique. This stove burns a variety of fuels; it can easily change between white gas, kerosene, unleaded gasoline and isobutane-propane canisters.
This is one of the best features as it gives you lot of flexibility no matter in which part of the world you travel.
All you have to do is just swap out one of 3 self-cleaning Shaker Jets depending on the fuel type required, and you are good to go. This Shaker Jet technology makes cleaning extremely simple. All you have to do is just shake the stove.
These Best backpacking stoves have a plastic attachment that holds the isobutane canister upside-down, so as to deliver fuel more efficiently when the canister isn’t full. Its average boiling time is 3 min 30 sec for 1 litre of water when using white gas and 3 min 45 sec when using an isobutane-propane canister.
Composed up of aluminium mixer tube and stainless steel legs, the overall design is eye-catching. It weighs about 11.5 ounces. It features simmering ability with all fuel types.
However, it has never been known for its simmer and it takes the experience to make simmering work.
The WhisperLite doesn’t have automatic ignition. You need to use a lighter or matches. Other accessories include a fuel pump, windscreen, heat reflector, small-parts kit, instructions, and storage sack.
This stove packs easily as the arms fold together for a smaller packed size. It can easily support many wide pots with ease. It comes with an excellent warranty against manufacturer defects and workmanship issues for the life of the product.
Offering excellent stability, this stove just burns with anything, anywhere. This reliable liquid fuel stove with multi-fuel capability is not cheap. But, given the features and uses it is a complete value for money.
Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves
Featuring an aluminium alloy and stainless steel construction, this stove speaks of durability. The materials can stand high temperature and weight. With a compact and collapsible design, this fits easily into your backpack.
Its compact size makes it slide easily into the carrying case. This enhanced portability makes it perfect for ultralight camping and backpacking.
It is compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters. This stove comes with a piezo lighter, an i.e. built-in electric spark ignition system that delivers instant convenience that matches and lighters cannot provide on cold or windy days.
The four foldable anti-slip stainless steel arms provide for a better and balanced support for up to 7 inches diameter pans. However, the arms feel too small for larger pots. With the weight of 3.2 ounces, it has a wire control valve handle.
These Best backpacking stoves can handle both rapid boiling and slow simmering with ease.
The adjustable control valve gives you flame control to adjust the heat accordingly. It can simmer quickly and efficiently allow you to prepare better quality and tasty meals.
This stove adheres to “Leave No Trace” principles, i.e. it burns clean, with no debris or soot left behind. It comes with 1 year warranty. It demands virtually zero setup and is extremely easy to use with no risk of fuel spills and no priming is required.
Overall, this is a great all-around stove that is light and affordable. It is a well-engineered stove that comes with impressive construction and an affordable price tag. Overall, it is a quality stove that is available at a pocket-friendly price.